Buying my first Scirocco!

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
RyanBlackmore

Buying my first Scirocco!

Post by RyanBlackmore »

Hey guys, i'm new to this and have a few questions.

I've been thinking of getting a new car for a while now and have always loved the scirocco. I don't know a huge amount about cars and the mechanics but i have read countless threads and reviews of the cars but nothing has really answered my questions.

My budget is a max really of £7000 but potentially if needed a little more, and for that i have been looking at:
2009 2.0 TDI 140.
Manual
130,000 miles ish

My main concern is the millage as it seems high. I'm wondering if the engine and everything else will be in good shape still or should i give it a miss? That tends to be the millage and age for the price i'm looking at.

It's a lot of money for me and don't want to have to spend lots fixing it if it's not in good shape.

Sorry for my cluelessness! :?

Thank's for any help, will be greatly appreciated :yes:
JUNKMAN
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather,Pan roof,Dynaudio,Winter pack,Black badges,H&R Springs,Revo panel filter,R8 Coils,BCS downpipe

Re: Buying my first Scirocco!

Post by JUNKMAN »

Hi tdi engines are pretty rock solid but at 130k dpf on the exhaust might be getting near the end of its life and are very expensive to replace
Also depending on how it's been driven the clutch and dual mass flywheel again might be fairly worn
If you can save a little bit more and get yourself one with half that mileage
One thing for sure its a great car and you won't regret it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Other thing to check is that the cambelt has been changed. Schedule is 4 years for cars registered prior to 9/2010 and 5 years after 9/2010.
RyanBlackmore

Post by RyanBlackmore »

Okay thank you for your help, looks like i'll have to continue my search and see what comes up then, guess it's just a waiting game. Anything else i'll need to look out for when looking to buy used?

Can't wait to finally get one!

Thanks again
RyanBlackmore

Post by RyanBlackmore »

Right i'm still looking and saving hoping something will pop up. I've just come across this add on autotrader which looks quite nice

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... =p&adPos=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am just really skeptical about buying private as you don't have a safety net so to speak. But it looks a decent spec for the price. And although White is my top choice i think the blue does look really good.

And thank you for any help and advice, i don't really know a huge amount about cars as such. I just really want my dream car now :(

Thank you! :)
Fozzie_17
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Fozzie_17 »

I'm definitely no Rocco guru....I don't even have one yet but that looks really nice to me! Bodywork looks nice, the write up for it seems OK. I would just want to know if that cambelt had been done like cuprabob mentioned and also personally I would like to see documentation of that remap. With that extra power I would like to see the service history. With history and documentation for the above, I would think it well worth a look :D just my 2p worth
Matt
tommy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box
Options: 19" Lugano anthricate alloy wheels
DSG gearbox
Cup Spoiler
Heated leather seats
VR Cold-Air intake
BCS Full Turbo Back 200 Cell Sport exhaust with black ceramic tips
RNS-510
Ecotech Performance remapped
Forge big brake kits 6 pots 356mm front
Forge big brake kits 4 pots 330mm rear

Post by tommy »

I have never owned a diesel but I am curious how local he works? I would have thought short journeys arent good for diesel cars and he does that daily? and only owning it for 3 months and decided to sell? Just a thought - it may be an absolute gem, just check it out throughly. Good luck! Looking forward to see pic of ur new motor :)
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

One thing to note is that the Xenons are not OEM and as such there is no auto-levelling or headlight washers.

I too would be sceptical on why the car is being sold on after such a short period of time.