Misfiring VW Scirocco 1.4 TSI 160PS (Clarification needed)

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
JordanHewitt30
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Tinted Windows, Black Alloys

Misfiring VW Scirocco 1.4 TSI 160PS (Clarification needed)

Post by JordanHewitt30 »

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at buying a VW Scirocco 1.4 TSI next year and I am unsure whether to or not regarding some problems they have. I have been reading online that they had a lot of engine issues with the cylinders misfiring, leading to over £3,000 worth of repairs. However, I have seen (on multiple forums) that there was an update in the ECU in 2011 that has stopped these issues. Am I correct in saying this?

Basically, I just want some clarification with this issue regarding whether it is just an issue with the 2009 1.4 TSI engines or if it carried over to the update in 2011?

I don't want to be spending 10-11k on a car if it has major issues with the cylinders misfiring. If anyone could offer some advice I would be truly grateful.

Thanks! :)
blower
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Re: Misfiring VW Scirocco 1.4 TSI 160PS (Clarification neede

Post by blower »

Avoid 2009 1.4 TSI models due to weak pistons / piston seal problems.

You will be fine with the ECU version, so long as the car has been serviced at VW for 2010 and 2011 years....VW would have flashed the ECU - there will usually be a sticker indicating '24s4' update in the boot under the boot liner (lift it to see the sticker where the spare wheel is).
Regardless of the age or the history of the car - get new spark plugs fitted (unless they have been recently done)

Spark plugs MUST be one of the following:

-Genuine VW 03C905601B
-NGK SIZFR6B8EG (which are same as above, just not branded VW)
-NGK BKR7EIX or NGK BKR6EIX

Any other plugs will probably cause problems, leading to misfires (hidden or putting EML on and code logged).

Oh and avoid DSG 7 speed in these cars (unless its had a new clutch pack fitted in 2015, and a new mechatronics from 2013 onwards)

Note all of this only applies to the 160 twincharger (CAVD engine) - the 122ps CAXA is fine and doesn't suffer from misfires, although the DSG issues are the same.
JordanHewitt30
Options: Tinted Windows, Black Alloys

Post by JordanHewitt30 »

Hi blower,

Thank you for the quick and detailed reply! So in theory, I should be fine with a 2011 Scirocco 1.4 TSI Manual? Just need to ask about the spark plugs when I go to buy one!

Also, I was never thinking of getting a DSG Rocco, was always going to get a normal manual but thank you for the advice!
blower
In: Reflex Silver

Post by blower »

Yes a 2011 I would be fine with, it will have already had the update from factory.

Just check on the sparks and you should be good to go :)
salsajoe
In: Salsa Red
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

Blower has covered the issues with some of the early engines. I have 2011 160 and not had any problems with misfire, oil consumption or rust (some have a small amount of tailgate rust at the bottom inside lip so need to check that). Done 50k miles now. Tend to use shell nitro or Tesco millennium fuel most of the time. Don't believe VW mpg figures - I manage about 39/40 overall with about 50/50 town and A road motoring. Performance is nice when you need it. :)
moulin12
Options: Used to own a 1.4 160 DSG.

Post by moulin12 »

Didn't have the full blown misfire issue with my 11 plate 2011, but did have the lumpy idle issue. (Running with V-power or Momentum reduced the issue). Car failed it's MOT due to failure in the secondary lamba sensor (30k miles). As part of the diagnosis and repair, new injectors were fitted and which solved the (common) lumpy idle. I have seen a report of at least one other 11 plate having the major engine issue, and it was unclear to me from extensive research precisely when the issues with the engine were resolved in production. I would always advise a 12 plate, to be on the safe side. Car was a DSG and had a clutch replacement at 27K.
Freshclip

Post by Freshclip »

Just had the engine rebuilt on mine following this issue. Admittedly it runs like fucking clockwork now!

Where are you based mate because i may be selling mine soon

greg7728
In: Viper Green

Post by greg7728 »

@freshclip - how did ur issue start? I only ask as I had a mis Fire on cylinder 4 last week, hasn't happened since - so not really sure if it is related to the engine issues this engine has, going to replace the spark plugs as a precaution and see if happens again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Freshclip

Post by Freshclip »

greg7728 wrote:@freshclip - how did ur issue start? I only ask as I had a mis Fire on cylinder 4 last week, hasn't happened since - so not really sure if it is related to the engine issues this engine has, going to replace the spark plugs as a precaution and see if happens again.

Link to my thread about it:
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... =2&t=20563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd listen very intently to your engine especially when it's idling, warm and cold. May even be worth throwing a compression test on it to make sure no damage has been done. My missfire was incredibly slight and when driving could barely notice it. I only noticed it on tick over.
greg7728

Post by greg7728 »

Engine sounds fine but idle revs have always been a little low - feels like its labouring - can feel it through the cab. Hasn't happened since on the mis Fire front - but maybe compression test is a good idea - the mis Fire Was cylinder 4 so guess that's a good place to start. Hope I haven't got a big issue on my hands, VW are useless they turned me over when my dsg clutch pack needed replacing at 15k miles. Is it too much to ask that companies just accept it when there's a genuine problem with their early designs.

moulin12
Options: Used to own a 1.4 160 DSG.

Post by moulin12 »

It may not be quite as serious as you fear, least in terms of engine damage. Again, mine had the lumpy idle but compression tests confirmed okay. However, as said, it did require new injectors to resolve.
greg7728

Post by greg7728 »

Think I'll get a compression test done to set my mind at ease about the more severe engine issues, and if that's all clear start changing out spark plugs and coils - I doubt the injectors will be a cheap fix given how labour intensive the job is.

greg7728

Post by greg7728 »

Compression test booked in for Saturday. May as well get spark plugs done at same time I guess

Freshclip

Post by Freshclip »

greg7728 wrote: Is it too much to ask that companies just accept it when there's a genuine problem with their early designs.
Evidently yes.. yes it is... :no:
samwhunt
Options: Black Vienna Leather
18" Interlagos

Post by samwhunt »

If you were still looking for a 1.4 TSI (160) I'm selling mine. I had issues with the misfire - long story short I ended up putting in a new engine in from an automatic with only 22k miles on it. Run's beautifully now. If interested PM me and I'll can send you the autotrader link.
ajg
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by ajg »

So I'm in the market for a Scirocco and was looking at this model. Just to clarify, as I'd really like to avoid this issue if I can, is it only a problem on 2009 models?
(Also, any other things to look out for when viewing would be much appreciated)
greg7728

Post by greg7728 »

Mines 2010 and has this issue, the dsg box has issues on earlier ones too, mines in the garage having the head removed for testing, trying to find what the issue is. Would recommend 2012 onward, full service history only.

ajg
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by ajg »

Hmmmm... I'm almost tempted to take a bit of a hit on the insurance and running costs and go for the 2.0L just for peace of mind
greg7728

Post by greg7728 »

The 2.0 tsi has its own issues - although not as many as the 160bhp tsi 1.4. End of the day any engine can have issues, any car can have issues, just do the homework and get warranty where possible just in case

greg7728

Post by greg7728 »

Update on mine, engine is in bits and Pistons being tested tommorow, for cracks. Nothing obvious in cylinder head apparently, looks like she is getting a full engine overhaul, hope it solves the problem as looks like no issue to report to warranty company so I'm footing the bill.