Need advice on my car situation

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
dylano
I drive a: R-Line
With a: DSG box

Need advice on my car situation

Post by dylano »

Hi all, id like some advice on what to do in regards to my car situation. I currently drive 1500 miles a month (motorway) in a 1.2 petrol. My end goal is to end up with a scirocco (tdi) but wont get insured on one till next year.

Im really bored with my current car and mpg so heres the question

Should i keep my current car, wait till june to see if the scirocco insurance is affordable. if it is buy a scirocco and if it isnt wait till October when i turn 21 and get one then. Or, should i buy a polo tdi now, and just aim for a scirocco in october?
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Need advice on my car situation

Post by Cuprabob »

Just stick with the car you have until you can get insured on a 140bhp Scirocco TDI.
greg7728
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Viper Green

Post by greg7728 »

You're posting on a scirocco forum, everyone here will say get a scirocco! Did u try looking at the tdi (140) for insurance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dylano

Post by dylano »

I will be getting a scirocco, just really confused on when. insurance on a 140 tdi comes out to 5500, cant justify that :(
greg7728 wrote:You're posting on a scirocco forum, everyone here will say get a scirocco! Did u try looking at the tdi (140) for insurance?

dylano

Post by dylano »

Just realised ive posted this in the wrong section. Oops
greg7728

Post by greg7728 »

Ouch. That's steep! Black box or anything not make it cheaper? I'd stick with what u have until u have saved enough for the 140

dylano

Post by dylano »

Thats with a black box for 3 months (Bell) LOL, yeah i think ill go with what you guys are saying and stick to what i have.

Cheers
greg7728 wrote:Ouch. That's steep! Black box or anything not make it cheaper? I'd stick with what u have until u have saved enough for the 140

Emarling
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White

Post by Emarling »

£5,500.00 with a black box seems very steep!

I've recently purchased my Scirocco 2.0L TDI GT (2013). I'm 19 and have 2 years NCD, my full comprehensive cover came to around £920.00 for the year. It is worth searching with a few price comparison sites as i have found that the prices do change from each other with quotes from the same companies. Another tip would be to keep checking for quotes on a daily basis as it does fluctuate a lot write down the policy reference the quote will be valid for 30 days so you could save a fair bit by doing this i saved £500.00 while looking for my insurance over 5 days.

Personally i would wait and save up until you can afford the Scirocco. You wont make the wrong decision buying one! :yes:
smilesapart
In: Ultra Violet
Options: Dynamic Chassis Control.
Electric Panoramic Glass Roof.
Rear View Camera.
Electric Folding Mirrors.
90% Heat Insulated Tinted Glass.
Paint Protection.
Mud Flaps.
Mud Flaps Front & Rear.

Post by smilesapart »

£5,500 just to insure the car?!!! Is this for real? I would never have a car that cost more than £700 or £800 a year to insure. It just isn't worth it!

I am staggered at what you younger lads have to pay on insurance. It's ridiculous.

In my opinion (for what it is worth) unless you are especially wealthy or have wealthy parents to help you out, my advice would be to get the Polo (I'm assuming the insurance is a fraction of that other quote) and just keep the Polo for a couple of years. Then change it for a Scirocco in two years time when the insurance should hopefully be considerably less (assuming you have made no claims).

Otherwise, not only will you be paying a stupid amount in Insurance, but if you get the Polo only until you are 21 in October next year you will also loose a lot in depreciation in a year too.

Better still get yourself a cool classic car instead while you wait for the premiums to drop as you get older. Find your self a Classic Beetle and it will be VERY cheap to insure, be going UP in value as you own it and be a really cool car too.
greg7728

Post by greg7728 »

Unlikely to get classic insurance under 25 and can only get classic insurance if have a daily driver (classic limited miles) most retail insurers (not classic) don't look favourable on an old car. The polo is a lower group but reason for the high premiums is statistically under 21 and make is the worst performing book of business, especially with the inexperience. Agreed it is a hefty premium especially with a black box.

jackssc
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Recaro Bucket Seats, Folding Mirrors, Panoramic Sunroof, Dynaudio Sound System, Rear Parking Sensors.

Post by jackssc »

Move north of the border. I paid £1200 at 19 on an R. Now £700 at 21.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
CleanDiesel
In: Indium Grey
Options: 184 TDI, Dynaudio sound system, adaptive suspenion, electronic differential lock, 90% tinted glass, cruise control, winter pack, reverse camera, fancy phone linking up stuff.

Post by CleanDiesel »

jackssc wrote:Move north of the border. I paid £1200 at 19 on an R. Now £700 at 21.

Wow that's good, did that include overseas cover for France next summer?

Oh hang on... :lol:
dimexi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Where do you live?!?! That makes a massive difference to insurance costs.

I think you are in the wrong place for advice anyway - the answer lies with you (ultimately). When I was a young 'un, I stuck to the 1.0 and 1.2L motors till I had about 5 years no claims! It made sense for me. I also did a "pass plus" anyway, and that made a big difference to my insurance. My first car (0.95CC corsa) cost just under £1000 to insure... But we are talking about almost 13 - 14 years ago
jackssc
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Recaro Bucket Seats, Folding Mirrors, Panoramic Sunroof, Dynaudio Sound System, Rear Parking Sensors.

Post by jackssc »

CleanDiesel wrote:
jackssc wrote:Move north of the border. I paid £1200 at 19 on an R. Now £700 at 21.

Wow that's good, did that include overseas cover for France next summer?

Oh hang on... [emoji38]
Huh?
lloydie63
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black

Post by lloydie63 »

You could wait until your 50+, my Sirocco is £154 fully comp with protected NC and legal cover.