Scirocco R or 2.0 TSI?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Reallywantone

Scirocco R or 2.0 TSI?

Post by Reallywantone »

Looking to buy a Scirocco and been debating whether to get an R model or the standard 2.0 TSI DSG model.

Is there any significant difference between the R model and non-R? Is there enough justification paying a few more grand? My next Scirocco will be my car for the next at least 3 years and I see everyone with an R model but they are pricey.
RoccoTom
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Indium Grey
With a: Manual box
Options: Cruise control
Auto folding mirrors
'R' side sill strips
Luxury mats

Re: Scirocco R or 2.0 TSI?

Post by RoccoTom »

I was in the same position a year and a half ago, and in the end I saved a few thousand and bought a new 13 plate 2.0 TSI. I've not been disappointed, as it has as much power as you could ever need while still being a considerate driver. You could also take into account the slightly higher running costs of the R, given the fuel consumption. I can see the appeal of the R, but really you could only safely enjoy its full potential if you were on a race track. I guess it depends on your driving style. The other advantage of the standard car is that you don't have a silly 'R' badge ruining the look of the front grille! :)
Luke.08
In: Oryx White
With a: DSG box
Options: Pano roof. Winter pack. RNS510 with dab radio. Dynaudio. cruise control. Bi-Xenon headlights. Folding mirrors. Colour MFD, Recaro seats

Post by Luke.08 »

R all day every day.
easyrider
In: Deep Black
Options: sensors, folding mirrors, cup spoiler, pano roof, cruise, 19s, leather, rns510, power seat, xenons, LED interior/exterior & puddle lights, vwr springs, fluffy driver's glovebox, aardvark

Post by easyrider »

...not that you're biased, eh luke? lol.
Last edited by easyrider on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victor's thread: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=17412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: @quietresonance
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

RoccoTom wrote:I was in the same position a year and a half ago, and in the end I saved a few thousand and bought a new 13 plate 2.0 TSI. I've not been disappointed, as it has as much power as you could ever need while still being a considerate driver. You could also take into account the slightly higher running costs of the R, given the fuel consumption. I can see the appeal of the R, but really you could only safely enjoy its full potential if you were on a race track. I guess it depends on your driving style. The other advantage of the standard car is that you don't have a silly 'R' badge ruining the look of the front grille! :)
Didn't realise my Dad was on the forum:-)

Cuprabob
Age 48 1/2
easyrider
In: Deep Black
Options: sensors, folding mirrors, cup spoiler, pano roof, cruise, 19s, leather, rns510, power seat, xenons, LED interior/exterior & puddle lights, vwr springs, fluffy driver's glovebox, aardvark

Post by easyrider »

Cuprabob wrote:
RoccoTom wrote:I was in the same position a year and a half ago, and in the end I saved a few thousand and bought a new 13 plate 2.0 TSI. I've not been disappointed, as it has as much power as you could ever need while still being a considerate driver. You could also take into account the slightly higher running costs of the R, given the fuel consumption. I can see the appeal of the R, but really you could only safely enjoy its full potential if you were on a race track. I guess it depends on your driving style. The other advantage of the standard car is that you don't have a silly 'R' badge ruining the look of the front grille! :)
Didn't realise my Dad was on the forum:-)

Cuprabob
Age 48 1/2

that gets a lol from me. bit cruel but funny.

easyrider,
42 3/4 (i know, right?!)
Victor's thread: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=17412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: @quietresonance
Terryrussell1952
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Dark Oak

Post by Terryrussell1952 »

I've had this debate with myself several times! I had the 210 dsg and absolutely loved it and in the end didn't go down the R route although I can completely understand why some do. If fuel consumption is an issue then the gt is much better. I ended up swapping my gt for a 177 R line earlier this year, the torque is phenomenal and I get 49 to the gallon.

The R uses an older engine which has been slightly reworked for the new R although it is now a couple of generations out which means fuel and emissions suffer.
candyrocker
In: Candy White
Options: Sunroof.Mirrors,Parking sensors.Leather,DSG

Post by candyrocker »

Sensible reply: test drive the R and whichever other roc is on your mind... And Obvs compare. And do some research round the forum... And make sure you choose your next ride correctly. Especially if costs are a concern.

Not so sensible reply: buy the R.. Cos if you don't, when you pull up at the side of one at the lights one day in the next three years maybe, and the other guys R leaves you standing, your heart will drop and it will kill you knowing you made the wrong decision..

Just buy the R.. Seriously.. You won't regret it. Go have a snoop on the R forum and see what we think of em..

;-)
Check out my Roc`s picture gallery:

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=16326
tony4147
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
Options: 19" Lugano's, RNS510 SatNav/BT, Leather, Rear Parking Sensors, Factory Mats

Post by tony4147 »

I've had a 2TSI DSG for 2 years, 3 months ago I looked at chopping it in for an R. Test drove the R DSG, which was a bit quicker but didn't feel massively quicker than my own car and certainly not worth my car and the several £k they wanted. To be honest I found the R to be a disappointment, but that might have been my expectations. The 2TSI Is plenty quick.

In the end I kept my 2TSI and bought a Elise 111R as a weekend car, which kills both the tsi and R................on a dry road!