How do Auto Lights work?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Minnu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof/Sat Nav/Heated Leather Seats/Park Distance Control

How do Auto Lights work?

Post by Minnu »

So, i have auto lights, but if i am sat in the car with the engine running, at night, i can't switch off the lights! whats that about?!

I tried to just switch my lights to the off position, so i dont disturb neigbours, but the lights stay on....is this normal?

Thank you
Rising Blue Scirocco Sat Nav/Heated Leathers/Park Sensors/Pan Roof/19" Lugano Wheels
Kev
Administrator
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Re: How do Auto Lights work?

Post by Kev »

Yep.
Try turning it one click to the right. It'll turn off the main lights and just leave the little side lights next to the indicators and the rears on.
AaronMc
In: Candy White
Options: Black Pack inc 19" Luganos, Piano Black Dash Inserts, Heated Vienna Leather, Dynaudio, Scirocco R Pedals, Parking Sensors, Needle Sweep Activated, Black VW Badges, Debadged, H&R 35mm.

Post by AaronMc »

The lights that stay on are your Daytime Running Lights.

A legal requirement from 2010 on..
sbull92
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: GT, Winter Pack

Post by sbull92 »

I have noticed if you have the lights in the on position (far right turned) then it will stop the welcome lights coming on if thats what you mean by disturbing the neighbours. You can prob do it in the menu's for the welcome lights, I just find it a lot easier than changing settings all the time
2009 Rocco GT 2.0 TDI 140BHP Candy White
Minnu

Post by Minnu »

just to clarify, one click to the right from where? lol from 0 (off)? so on auto? i've tried it on "0" "auto" and the main light (whatever the symbol is. On the side lights, it switched off....well, to side lights only.

also, the daytime running lights are the little lights below the main lights. either they're uber bright, or theres a problem.

Also, to add, there is some sort of electrical box with wires coming out of it in my compartment to the right of the steering wheel. the elec box is loose, and moves around....any ideas? related to the lights maybe?
Rising Blue Scirocco Sat Nav/Heated Leathers/Park Sensors/Pan Roof/19" Lugano Wheels
Brocky

Post by Brocky »

Here's a reply by UKLee to a post of mine regarding lights.

uklee wrote:Hi Brocky

I cant speak for the halogen equipped cars , but on mine (with Bi-Xenons) this is how it works.

I understand that lots of folk refer to their sidelights as DRL's - especially when they've fitted aftermarket sidelights - I have dectanes (here's a pic to avoid any confusion)

The DRL can be switched on or off via the lights & convenience menu in the MFD . This is standard on Bi-Xenon cars and doesn't require VCDS to enable it.

:) With the light switch set to '0' (Day or Night), and the DRL's enabled , then only the DRL's light up , if the DRL's are disabled in the MFD menu , then the DRL's do not light up (nor do any other lamps illuminate)
:) With the light switch set to 'Auto' , and the DRL's enabled , then the DRL's light up as soon as you turn the ignition on. When night time comes , the headlight dipped beam and the sidelights come on. The DRL's go off
:) With the light switch set to 'Auto' , and the DRL's disabled , then the DRL's do not light up at all. When night time comes , the headlight dipped beam and the sidelights come on.
:) With the light switch set to 'sidelights =oo= ' (Day or Night), only the side lights illuminate - it doesnt matter if the DRL's are enabled in the menu or not - they dont light up.
:) With the light switch set to 'headlights =D ' (Day or Night),the headlight dipped beam and the sidelights come on - it doesnt matter if the DRL's are enabled in the menu or not - they dont light up

Hope this helps. :yes:
Minnu

Post by Minnu »

interesting, thanks for that!

i dont think i have Bi-Xenon lights....

i'll run some tests later to check :)

Thakns for that, very helpful!
Brocky

Post by Brocky »

No problem.

I think the lights should work the same, whether they're Xenon, or not.

In your case, the side-lights (lower bumper lights) are the ones that are staying on when the switch is in the 'OFF' position. They are always on, when the ignition is on.
Kev
Administrator
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

Minnu wrote:just to clarify, one click to the right from where? lol from 0 (off)? so on auto? i've tried it on "0" "auto" and the main light (whatever the symbol is. On the side lights, it switched off....well, to side lights only.
One click right from '12 o'clock'.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

If you have a car with halogen headlights the "Auto" function is redundant as the dipped beams are always on in lieu of DRLs.

Off - Sidelights and Dipped Beams On
Auto - Sidelights and Dipped Beams On
Sidelights - Sidelights On
On - Sidelights and Dipped Beams On

Only way to get Auto function to work is to connect VCDS and disable dipped beams as DRLs.

Xenon cars are different as they have dedicated DRLs either in the headlight or in the case of the R an LED strip below the headlight.

The small lights next to indicators are sidelights and not running lights or DRLs
Brocky

Post by Brocky »

So both dipped and sidelights are always on, even when the switch is in the '0' position, on non-xenon cars??
Cuprabob
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

Brocky wrote:So both dipped and sidelights are always on, even when the switch is in the '0' position, on non-xenon cars??
Yes
rm0rgan
Options: SOLD

Post by rm0rgan »

I have a brain wave - why don't we put all the questions on lights into one post and make it a sticky as it must easily be the most asked question?! :nod:
<<<< He who laughs last, thinks slowest. >>>>
Brocky

Post by Brocky »

Cuprabob wrote:
Brocky wrote:So both dipped and sidelights are always on, even when the switch is in the '0' position, on non-xenon cars??
Yes
Urgh. Don't like the idea of that, tbh.

Glad I chose to stump up the extra cash for Xenon now!
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

AaronMc wrote:The lights that stay on are your Daytime Running Lights.

A legal requirement from 2010 on..
No - they are just headlights stuck in the 'on' position in an attempt to mimic a DRL function (see Roccopedia) - there is no requirement to have this function on a Scirocco as the legal requirement for DRL lighting is only on cars designed and Type Approved after Feb 2010.

This 'hack' can be turned off with VCDS ina minute or two and returns the lights to normal auto functioning.
Minnu

Post by Minnu »

I knew it!!!

Thanks guys, I thought they were broken!
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

rm0rgan wrote:I have a brain wave - why don't we put all the questions on lights into one post and make it a sticky as it must easily be the most asked question?! :nod:
I agree. This topic is the most asked question on the forum. Other than bluetooth related questions.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
grantm1986
In: Reflex Silver

Post by grantm1986 »

Sorry I'm new to the rocco club but I'm gathering that vcds is a vw diagnostics tool ? And to have the DRL's turned off you would be aswell taking it to who ? The dealer or would a small mechanics be able to do this ?
Sam63
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather seats, Rear Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Dynaudio Soundpack, Mats.
Mods : BCS non -resonated Sports System Cat Back exhaust, H & R Springs and ITG Maxogen CAI, APR Stage 1 & 19" Satin Anthracite BBS CH R's. - Now Sold

Post by Sam63 »

I have had my car almost 6 years and I am still confused on this issue.
I always gave mine in auto but every time I get it back from servicing VW turn button left to "11 o clock".
Too complicated for me.
andoyeye

Post by andoyeye »

Hi guys,

How come my side lights are always on? No matter what dial i use they will be on regardless of what time of day it is. I recently purchased LED sidelights and wanted my drls off but keep sidelight on. I have been told that i cant use the sidelight only function to drive round (main drls will be off and just sidelight LED will be on). Is it illegal to use side lights only? as they are constantly on regardless and i dont want the drls on during the day, ofcourse when its dark i will put it back to auto so they come on.

Regards,

Adam