Seat tilt mechanism fault - replacement parts?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
pixelmix
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors

Seat tilt mechanism fault - replacement parts?

Post by pixelmix »

The passenger seat on our 3 year old Rocco (just out of warranty of course) has started playing up. It will still slide forward and back fine, and fold fine too, but when folded forward to allow access to the rear seat, it will only fold back to the normal position when slid all the way to the rear.

I found a piece of metal and a spring on the floor, and have discovered that the part comes from the inner rail (the seat rail nearest the arm rest) - it is a stopper which sets where the seat should sit in its normal position, which explains why it will slide all the way to the back when folded forward.

Having compared to the driver's seat, I think I am missing a small pin to hold the metal plate in place, and I think also whatever the spring fits on to. Hopefully this makes sense. Has anyone else had the same issue and found a replacement part kit? Keen to try to sort this myself rather than a dealer trip if possible, as it was only recently serviced and MOT'd, so I'm not intending to visit the dealer again until I head in to order the new car. :)

Thanks
Le Clue
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Panoramic Sunroof, Xenons, PDC, TPM, Vienna Leather, Electric Seats, Folding Mirrors, Light Package

Re: Seat tilt mechanism fault - replacement parts?

Post by Le Clue »

Had the same issue.

VW had to replace my seat rail. There is a TSB out for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Current:
'12 Rising Blue VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
/DSG/Xenon/Panoramic Sunroof/PDC/
/REVO 2/APR Carbonio Stage 2/Flowtech DP/R8 Coilpacks/Lamin-X/LED's/HID Fogs/RNS510/9WZ Bluetooth/Bilstein B14 Coilovers/REVO Insert/19" Savannah/Polar Fis +/

pixelmix

Post by pixelmix »

Interesting, thanks. Maybe I'll take it to the dealer after all then.
TimH
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver

Post by TimH »

I have a similar problem with my passenger seat. I tilt the seat forwards to allow a passenger to gain access to the rear seats but when I try to put the seat back it doesn't lock into it's last position but slides forward & back. The only way I can get it to lock is by lifting the tilt handle but then the passenger has to use the adjuster under the base of the seat to put it back where they want.
The car is 3 years & 2 months old so no original warranty but I have an extended warranty. I took it to the dealers & have been told there is a TPI (2021441/4) which says it could be one of 3 faults; mechanical cable needs tightening, seat foam requires cutting or a new rail will need to be fitted. I have been told that the warranty I have will only cover the cost if it's the cable which is faulty, otherwise I will have to pay £65 to cover the cost of diagnosing the fault + the cost of replacing a part if required!
Has anyone had this fault diagnosed as I'm reluctant to pay money out if I can repair it myself without paying the the £65 fee?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
janherko
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Viper Green
Options: Alcantara, Bi-xenons, Full LED interior, Metal pedals, Sensors, RNS 510, 18" Interlagos piano black, Pearl black foldable mirrors, Winter pack, Pirelli PZero Nero 235/40, Pipercross air filter, New complete pistons, New K03 BorgWarner turbo, Full LED tail lights, Full LED front indicators

Post by janherko »

Hi folks,
I have pretty much the same situation as TimH on my MY09 Rocco...sometimes it stops at its last position, sometimes it just goes all the way back...never found anything broken under the seat (it´s only matter of passenger seat)...
reluctant to go to the stealers, too
robinalex
I drive a: GTS TSI
Options: Cruise control
Pano Roof
RNS315
Winter pack (heated seats / headlight washers)
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Electric seats
Parking Sensors
Bi-Xenon headlights with cornering lights
K&N filter
H&R 35mm
12.5mm Black anodised hubcentric spacers
Milltek Non-res catback
R-Tech Stage 1

Post by robinalex »

My 2009 seems to have the same problem on passenger side. Found a funny shaped small bit of metal with a hole in it under the seat. Need to investigate where it goes.
pixelmix

Post by pixelmix »

robinalex - that sounds like the bit which came off mine. It goes on the inside rail behind the seat - a small pin goes through the hole to hold it in place I think. There should be a spring around somewhere too.
Le Clue
Options: Panoramic Sunroof, Xenons, PDC, TPM, Vienna Leather, Electric Seats, Folding Mirrors, Light Package

Post by Le Clue »

robinalex wrote:My 2009 seems to have the same problem on passenger side. Found a funny shaped small bit of metal with a hole in it under the seat. Need to investigate where it goes.
Same with me.

You can't just replace that piece of metal clip..

They'll check the cables, then the seat rail and then replace the seat rail.
Current:
'12 Rising Blue VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
/DSG/Xenon/Panoramic Sunroof/PDC/
/REVO 2/APR Carbonio Stage 2/Flowtech DP/R8 Coilpacks/Lamin-X/LED's/HID Fogs/RNS510/9WZ Bluetooth/Bilstein B14 Coilovers/REVO Insert/19" Savannah/Polar Fis +/

TimH

Post by TimH »

LeClue

You mentioned your seat rail was replaced, did you have to pay for the replacement?
You also mentioned there's a TSB for it, do you have anymore info such as a TSB number?
I've been told by my local VW dealer that I will have to pay around £400 to have a new seat rail fitted. It seems to be a common fault, why have VW not issued a recall or cover the cost of replacing a faulty part!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Monty4
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Xenons, winter pack,parking sensors, folding mirrors, panoramic sunroof,Dynaudio,S line gear knob, alloy pedals.

Post by Monty4 »

I have same issue with passenger seat but have the approved 12 month warranty remaining would this cover this fault thanks.
TimH

Post by TimH »

Monty4 wrote:I have same issue with passenger seat but have the approved 12 month warranty remaining would this cover this fault thanks.
I have a VW extended warranty and took my car to the dealers hoping they would fix this fault FOC. I was told by the dealer there is a TPI (2021441/4) which says it could be one of 3 faults; mechanical cable needs tightening, seat foam requires cutting or a new seat base will need to be fitted. I have been told that the warranty I have will only cover the cost if it's the cable which is faulty, otherwise I will have to pay £65 to cover the cost of diagnosing the fault + the cost of replacing a part if required. If I need a new seat base it will cost around £400 to replace!
Good luck getting the dealer to replace FOC but if they agree to foot the bill let me know which dealer you used as I may go there instead of my local dealer......
Let me know how you get on, would be interesting to know if anyone out there has had the seat base replaced under a VW extended warranty.
Tim
Monty4
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Xenons, winter pack,parking sensors, folding mirrors, panoramic sunroof,Dynaudio,S line gear knob, alloy pedals.

Post by Monty4 »

Will give them a ring and see what they initially say , go from there with it will post if any joy with repair ,cheers .
TimH

Post by TimH »

After some investigation to figure out how the easy entry seat works I have fixed my seat for the pricely sum of £14.58!
I managed to track down VW diagrams online from the following website;
http://www.partscats.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which helped in recognising the part I required.
I purchased the part from my local VW dealer & fitted it myself which took less than 5 mins. The part I purchased is a guide block part number 8T0-898-025 & is sold as a pair, one for both driver and passenger seats. The parts slide onto the inner seat rail by removing the rear fixing bolt.
I'm so glad I didn't go straight to the dealer otherwise I'd have been £400'ish lighter!
Hopefully this will help others if they have this fault now or in the future!
martdy
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

Post by martdy »

Good find on that website!
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control
SPEEDDRV
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Remapped to 187hp.
Dectane front blinker, piano black interior trim, Eonon head unit, front and rear camera, gloss black rear diffuser, full interior LED, full rear LED bulbs, cold start diagnostic off via ODIS, long press on keyfob to close electric mirrors. XDS on Strong. Many more mods...

Post by SPEEDDRV »

Ok guys, I need a little help here! My seat doesn't automatically slide forward when folded forward to allow access to the rear seat. What part might be?
I need your help because it might be very simple and dealer might charge a lot of money!!
TimH

Post by TimH »

Hi SPEEDDRV.
Can you move your seat forwards/ back if you pull the adjustment handle underneath the seat?
Tim
SPEEDDRV
Dectane front blinker, piano black interior trim, Eonon head unit, front and rear camera, gloss black rear diffuser, full interior LED, full rear LED bulbs, cold start diagnostic off via ODIS, long press on keyfob to close electric mirrors. XDS on Strong. Many more mods...

Post by SPEEDDRV »

Yes my friend, that's the only way on my passenger seat. I have to move it forward and backwards manually.
TimH

Post by TimH »

Unfortunately you have different symptoms to what I had, my seat would slide forward but would not lock back into place.
If you adjust your seat height to it's highest position you should see 3 metal pins which should be lifted when you pull the easy entry handle, if they're not moving, lightly grease them and try it again.
Another thing that could be at fault is one of the cables could have stretched or come off it's runner.
Sorry I can't pinpoint the fault but mine was a fairly easy fix and I didn't need to delve inside the seat.

If you look at the website http://www.partscats.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as mentioned in my earlier post you can get exploded diagrams of all parts for the car including the seats.

The only other option is to compare the broken seat with the one which is working, this does involve some dexterity as there's not a great deal of room in the car when you're inside it on your hands and knees!

Let me know how you get on.

Tim
SPEEDDRV

Post by SPEEDDRV »

Thank you very much for your help my friend! :) No problem, I will have a look at it. I will compare with driver's seat that is working properly. I'm also going to have a look at that website. It might be helpful. Thank you once again and I will update asap!
ciaranm
Options: Heated leather seats.

Post by ciaranm »

I'm having a similar issue with both of my rear seats... The latch mechanism on both is broken... Over the last few weeks I have found plastic and metal pieces in the boot and had no idea where they were supposed to go...
I didnt really think it was much of an issue until I went to buy a new TV at the weekend and couldnt fold my rear seats down to get the TV in!
Anyone know if this is an easy and or cheap fix?? Cheers!