Summary of Winter Preparation Topics

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Summary of Winter Preparation Topics

Post by RW1 »

Time the Scirocco was prep’d for winter............ Scirocco is not the best in snow or frozen conditions unless you prepare ahead.

A little summary for those who have not had a really cold winter with their Scirocco. And a reminder of our experiences of the past for those already been through 2009/2010, 2010/2011 winters. Picked out the most informative topics below. Using the highlight words in the search will bring up more to look at.

Winter Prep......... Link

Frozen window prevention......... Link

Revised Window Lower Window Seal on later Sciroccos...... Link

Resetting the windows if not fully closing due to operation while frozen.......... Link

Frozen Tailgate that does not lift. Operate the key fob as usual and with the other hand, lift the tailgate as the lock noise actions. It’s usually the two sprung bump stops that have frozen. Adding lubricant can destroy them.... be aware they don’t like petroleum based products due to them being made with re-cycled plastic....... Link

A cheap snow scoop........ Link

Pack a warm jacket, water and a bar of chocolate. Water and chocolate will last the winter wrapped in a bag safely.

Also, a couple of carpet tiles cut in half, making 4 x tread mats to drive on out of a stuck situation.

Autumn and Winter wet weather, wet shoes and clothing all add up. Use the AirCon with normal heating settings to get drying air which will lift the moisture out. (NB Normal Aircon will only work above intake air of +3'C, Defrost (Aircon again) overrides down to +1.5'C) ..... Link1 ...&... Link2
Defrost mode uses the principle of removing windscreen moisture by applying dry air generated by having the Aircon switched on in this mode.

Snow socks can be handy also, either from the dealers or elsewhere such as ..... Link

Then there are winter tyres and wheels to consider. Even on max tread depth normal tyres, the Scirocco is not nimble on snow :rolleyes: . Some are already fitting narrower winter tyres in preparation to give better grip.......... Link

And not to forget the Windscreen wash. Needs the solution strengthening against freezing in colder weather.......
Link1
Link2

Particularly those who have headlight washers in the front bumpers ........ Link

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
ZephyR
With a: Manual box
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Re: Summary of Winter Preparation Topics

Post by ZephyR »

Good piece of work there Chris pulling all of that stuff together. Especially useful as you say for Roc owners facing their first winter. :yes:
Maybe this needs making as a Sticky - until spring at least.
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Thanks. Already is Zeph. :?

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
BunnyJen

Post by BunnyJen »

Thanks for this! All really useful info. :)
Jonny_Smith
In: Pewter Grey

Post by Jonny_Smith »

Thanks for all this! Having picked up my Rocco last Saturday and snow predicted next week in Newcastle you've timed this perfectly. Very handy!!
Roccokid
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Night Blue
Options: parking screen for fuddy duddies, used car bought as seen.

Post by Roccokid »

Snow CHAINS or Snow SOCKS, ? for my Scirocco.
Any suggestions?. The Scirocco has wide profile tyres, are Socks effective?. Thinking either Chains or
Socks ?. Am aware chains can damage the alloy wheels. Not really interested in
buying cheap (Golf?) Rims, fitting Snow tyres, etc.
DubSteve68
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Indium Grey
Options: LEATHER/DUAL ZONE CLIMATE/RLS

Mods:

RNS-510*
CRUISE CONTROL*
REMOTE FOLDING MIRRORS WITH REVERSE DIP*
R-LINE SMOKED/CHERRY REAR CLUSTERS*
SMOKED FRONT INDICATORS*
BCM CODED FOR LED LIGHTING*
DUAL REAR FOGS*
FRONT FOGS AS DRL (PRL OFF, SIDELIGHTS OFF IN DRL CHANNEL)*

Post by DubSteve68 »

Winter = salty time.

Something that's really easy to overlook if you've never changed a rear bulb is the possibility of the light cluster rubbing through the paintwork near the retaining clip. I discovered this by chance a few days ago when cleaning various bits of tree from the nooks and crannies of my recently purchased rocco. One side had worn through to the primer, the other was down to the metal. It's something worth checking and dealing with if necessary before road salt makes things worse.

Cheers, DubSteve
Genuine VCDS and VCP System available in North West - Burnley/Pendle/Ribble Valley/Craven areas. PM me if in need.
rentspel
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Night Blue

Post by rentspel »

Great tips mate thx for sharing!
alexthegrumpyone
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Rising Blue

Post by alexthegrumpyone »

I got a Video on winter checks and best tools for it if anyone is interested by the way.
This is done on Tiguan with the same engine ;)