Fuel flap won't release

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Reidbria
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Stereo upgrade Dynaudio

Fuel flap won't release

Post by Reidbria »

HI - I'm a brand new member to the forum but annoyingly have just discovered the first problem I've ever had with my 2009 Scirocco. I can't get the fuel filler flap to open - I've opened and closed the central locking a few times with both keys but it seems to have jammed shut or disconnected from the central locking. Does anyone know of a solution or a manual workaround? Alternatively can anyone recommend a good independent VW mechanic in Northern Ireland?

Probably have enough petrol for about 150 miles after that its a ride on a low loader.
Peacock8

Re: Fuel flap won't release

Post by Peacock8 »

I had the same problem a while ago. I solved itself after a few goes with the lock :) Try to push it in when you lock/open the car :)

Ørjan.
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

Use the manual cable override function in the boot.

Or just :rtfm: as Trix would say :yes:
Reidbria

Post by Reidbria »

Thanks Peacock8 - tried it numerous times and won't open. Chungster - I've looked in the manual and can't find the instructions for cable override - where is the cable?
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

The fuel flap cannot be opened manually without the following.......
(There is no emergency cord to pull. Manual 3.2 Tips & Maintenance refers you to the dealer.)

The way in to open the flap manually involves jacking up the car, wheel can stay on.
Emergency Fuel Flap Release.jpg
If it won't release, then the mechanism is goosed and the unit has to come out as a whole.

C. (edited 20.09.12 13:40)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Fifer
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Opal Silver
With a: Manual box
Options: Reversing sensors, cruise control

Post by Fifer »

Does anyone know how easy it is to remove the right hand inner boot liner? I'd hate to find myself in a fuel station with a low tank unable to release the fuel cap. I thought most cars had a cable release back-up?
Reidbria

Post by Reidbria »

Thanks RW1 - I'll give that a go. I did notice the manual wasn't really helpful, it explained how to override everything on the central locking except the fuel flap release.
Thommohawk
In: Rising Blue

Post by Thommohawk »

I had this same issue a few times, and yes I agree the manual is not very helpful as I was aware myself that there should be a pull cord but couldn't find out how to access it. Sounds a bit of a pain in the ar$e though,
Current - Audi S5 4.2 Quattro V8 See here...
Now Sold - VW Scirocco 2.0GT TSI, Rising Blue, VW Bodykit, H&R Springs, Panoramic Sunroof, Anthracite 'Vienna' Leather Interior, Scirocco R Pedals See here...

L I V E S T R O N G
RW1
Legend
In: Candy White
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

My bad. Decided to do the rear brakes today (another story, I must learn to use the foot brake!) due to sticking calipers.

The faff of the boot shelf & lining removal isn't necessary. Easy to go in via the rear wheel arch area with the car jacked up without removing the rear right wheel.

See above post amended with picture how to.

Can't be fitted with a DIY emergency pull cord or other means due to the design.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Reidbria

Post by Reidbria »

Guys - really glad I joined the forum - the advice has been great. Don't know why I didn't join earlier - guess I'm just getting old and lazy. I was a member of the TT forum when I got my first TT and it was similarly helpful, so thanks again for the interest and responses.
RisingRoc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
Options: 2 Zone Air Con, Alloy pedals, Luxury Mats, Chrome Exhaust Tips, Rear Cup Holder, HKB Door Sills, Full LED pack

Post by RisingRoc »

Peacock8 wrote:I had the same problem a while ago. I solved itself after a few goes with the lock :) Try to push it in when you lock/open the car :)

Ørjan.
Just had this happen to be. More than a little concerned given I had a range of 40miles and its New Year's Eve so dealer likely to be shut the next day or two.

Thankfully, due to this forum, Ørjan's advice and a fruit based smartphone I managed to get it open and fill the car. :yes:

Seems to be working no problem now. Is this one of those quirks you sometimes just have to live with and know how to deal with or can the dealers fix it permenantly?
Peacock8

Post by Peacock8 »

Good that it worked! Only happened ones to me, so I just think it was a glitch of some sort.

Ørjan
Red201

Post by Red201 »

I had this issue recently. Made for an interesting time in the Petrol station with the fuel warning light on and a fuel cap that wouldn't open.

I've just had the mechanism replaced under warranty today. No problems at the minute.
eidooo

Post by eidooo »

RW1 wrote:The fuel flap cannot be opened manually without the following.......
(There is no emergency cord to pull. Manual 3.2 Tips & Maintenance refers you to the dealer.)

The way in to open the flap manually involves jacking up the car, wheel can stay on.
If it won't release, then the mechanism is goosed and the unit has to come out as a whole.

Worked like magic . SUPER THANKS u saved my day

I was zero range in fuel and that things wont open . Tried locking and unlocking for 20 minutes

This must be added to the roccopedia
timdaker
Options: SAT NAV, Leather, Parking Sensors

Post by timdaker »

Many many thanks RW1, Your tip really really saved me a whole heap of trouble.
Just as a footnote, there are no upper screws on my 2010 2.0Tdi 140, only the ones at the lower edges. They are also T25 s not T20 s. Maybe a production change at some point?
Thanks again
Tim
sidewaysgrey
In: Indium Grey
Options: Gzox glass coating

Post by sidewaysgrey »

had mine mucking up the same issue at about 30K+ KM. Got it checked at the service guys and they added lub or something. Still had the problem, but intermittent. Took it back and got the locking mechanism replaced under warranty
maq
Options: 19" Black Luganos/Style Pack, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensor, RNS-510 + VIM patch, VW Bluetooth & A2DP, Cruise Control, Aluminium Pedals

Post by maq »

Had mine replaced a few days back, part was about £16 quid if I recall. Works just like new now!
Replica

Post by Replica »

My fuel flap sticks every few months which is embarrassing when you want fuel. Maybe 30 mins of repeatedly pushing the flap until it opens. Read all the forum comments and now think I have a solution. Place your remote under the wheel-arch next to the flap and press disarm. Then try to push the flap again. Works for me.
Ash1eigh
In: Viper Green
Options: Panoramic Sunroof, Cream Leather, Satnav, Alloys

Post by Ash1eigh »

RW1 wrote:The fuel flap cannot be opened manually without the following.......

This worked nicely on 2011 GT (except it was a T25 as someone else mentioned). I put a small cut in the rubber boot and sprayed a little GT85, worked fine since.
Iceash
In: Reflex Silver

Post by Iceash »

Anyone know the part number for this, mine is throwing an error up and isn't locking. Could this also trigger my car alarm when I remotely open the car? Only triggers time to time.