Fuel flap won't release

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Fuel flap won't release

Post by Cuprabob »

This site is useful for part numbers, so bookmark it.
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/ca ... g/e#sec_40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Delberthot
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
Options: Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors

Post by Delberthot »

Is this a common thing?

My fuel flap pushes in and stays there then eventually pops open
Fryer
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Pure White

Post by Fryer »

I have the same issue with mine vw have changed the mechanism under warranty also found if I haven’t washed the car for about 3 weeks it tends to stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PaulGL79
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
Options: 18 inch interlargos wheels, DAB Radio

Post by PaulGL79 »

Indeed mine was purely mechanism failure Volkswagen had to replace this , how ever well you clean the car a hell of a lot of muck and dirt will appear inside the filler cap. I really didn't know until now you could open in an emergency from the boot I used to stand at the fuel station like a numpty unlocking and unlocking the doors about 30 times hoping the filler cap would eventually open, trial and error .
Zanic L3
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Stage 2, Catless DP, Milltek catback.

Post by Zanic L3 »

Just had the same issue today. Wow first time the rocco did give 'up'. Made quite a figure at the fuel station when it refused to open after multiple presses.

Drove home and locked the car and instantly on the unlock press I pushed the cap and it just opened up lol, cleaned it out and hopefully I have enough gas to make it to the gas station tomorrow haha it's already in the red zone :/
Zanic L3
Options: Stage 2, Catless DP, Milltek catback.

Post by Zanic L3 »

Ok just tried it a couple hours later, still doesn't wanna release.

Although it does release if you unlock the car with the key and then instantly press the fuel cap it opens but not if you wait 10s after unlocking it with the keyfob.
Not sure if this is actually designed this way or not.
TriGGER
Options: Parking Sensors, Leather Interior

Post by TriGGER »

I had the same problem ages ago, few goes locking unlocking and then i few the dirt out from the lock mechanism and it was ok again.
Fryer
In: Pure White

Post by Fryer »

Mine was the same last night it went to VW last year to get sorted I’ve put a bit of Vaseline round the outside of the seal n it opened fine then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Delberthot
Options: Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors

Post by Delberthot »

I had the garage look at mine and they adjusted something. It now works first time. Might be worth checking before replacing anything
Stukos
In: Viper Green

Post by Stukos »

Mine was doing the same, not opening. Had to lock then unlock repeatedly until it would finally pop open.

I got a replacement unit (the part that pops the fuel door open) from VW for about £15 and replaced it myself.
Bazandbeanz1
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Lots

Post by Bazandbeanz1 »

I sprayed mine with WD 40 after opening it with a small flat point and now pops out again.
Matthewdbingham
Options: Leather and sat nav

Post by Matthewdbingham »

Replica you are a genius!
skyblues11
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

I had this problem last year. After doing some research ( from this forum no less) i managed to change it myself.

It can be done but i cursed VW every second, as they have made the access of the cable plug end ( thats links the flap pop-up unit) so deep and awkward.
Keyfski
I drive a: R-Line
Options: none

Post by Keyfski »

Hi all,
I just experienced this same problem with the recent cold weather, experienced the same 'range anxiety' and feeling like a plonker who doesn't even know how to fill a car. After checking this board I was not looking forward to removing the wheel arch lining or taking the car to the garage. The flap was totally stuck fast and pressed in a little. Manipulating the locking i could hear and feel the actuator working, or at least trying to work so I figured it wasn't a failed part.

If your sticking flap seems the same, this is how I got into it and resolved the problem..

1. Find your least favourite loyalty card, or other plastic credit card sized card (if you're stuck at a petrol station you probably have one with you)
2. Gently insert the card into the left side of the flap (taking good care of your paintwork) and gently lever the edge of the card under the flap
3. With a little pressure on the card pushing the flap away from the car, press the lock and unlock button a few times. The pressure of the card was just enough to lever the flap open once the locking had released it
4. Clean any dirt or grit from the locking mechanism and apply dry lubricant, WD40 or whatever you have handy
5. Additionally with the flap open you can press and release the locking mechanism with your finger to prove to yourself it is just the flap sticking and not a broken part

Hope that helps and saves someone the cost of a tow or garage fees
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J2009
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Sumatra

Post by J2009 »

Thanks to all of you on this form. Just power washer the car and found that the fuel flap would not open :faint: when I needed to clean the well. Going on hols tomorrow but you have saved the day with your tips and explanations. Managed to get the flap open and hope that it was just excess water which caused the initial problem.
Will make sure that we keep at least 1/2 tank of fuel in case things go wrong and we have to replace the unit. :( :( :(
scruffy_
In: Rising Blue
Options: RNS510, Kufatec Bluetooth Prep, Cruise, Parking Sensors, few interior mods.

Post by scruffy_ »

So I think I've just fallen foul of this. Drove home on 0 miles (26 miles) averaging about 55mpg, driving like Miss Daisy was in the back with a scalding hot saucepan of gravy on her lap.

Made it to the petrol station in the piddling rain, only to find my bloody fuel cap wouldn't open. After reading this thread I think the actuator is totally goosed. Can't hear anything from it when locking/unlocking the car, so I think it'll be a replacement job.

Am I right in thinking the part number I need for a 2010 TDi is 5N0810773E a la: http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/ca ... g/e#sec_40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks in advance!
2010 TDI 140 Rising Blue - For Sale
Raysfun
Options: Glass sunroof, 19inch teladeger wheels, Dino sound system

Re: Fuel flap won't release do this if the actuator has failed

Post by Raysfun »

RW1 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:53 pm The fuel flap cannot be opened manually without the following.......
(There is no emergency cord to pull. Manual 3.2 Tips & Maintenance refers you to the dealer.)

The way in to open the flap manually involves jacking up the car, wheel can stay on.

Emergency Fuel Flap Release.jpg
If it won't release, then the mechanism is goosed and the unit has to come out as a whole.

C. (edited 20.09.12 13:40)
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
raysfun} comments 26/04/2023
I’ve read all of the posts, none! As far as I can see, deal with replacing a failed actuator so, read on because I had to replace mine. 2011 Scirocco R DSG at 53500miles do as far as the previous post says, including taking securing studs from around the wheel arch cover, I didn’t need to Jack the car up or remove wheels, but, only because I had short screw driver with torques / star heads
1. Once the arch cover is pushed down, you can access the fuel flap from up inside quarter panel. (Remove the screw holding the actuator) and push the flap assembly out (it pushed out easily if you push from behind the actuator side first, unscrew the fuel cap & let it & flap assembly hang taking care not to damage paint work,
2. In the boot, Remove the parcel shelf, remove the screws holding the parcel shelf support (there is a screw behind the plastic hanger)
3. inside the back seat, lower the passenger rear back rest down & remove the screw holding the inner side boot panel just enough to allow the boot panel to be pull away. Back inside the boot, slide your left hand between the boot liner and find the actuator cable & gromit (it’s in line with the fuel flap but a few inches higher) Find the end of the actuator cable and squeeze the securing clip to release it from the connector, It is fiddly but patience will get you there.
4. Once the clip has been released, push the cable & gromit through the panel & remove the actuator.
5. Push the new actuator wire & clip back through the panel & locate the clips connector, (Note} the clip has a raised shoulder to prevent connecting the wrong way round) You can now push the gromit in place.
6. Slide the actuator in place, there are grooves to locate in the panel, push the flap assembly back in place, right hand side first, put the actuator securing screw back in place.
6. Before reassembling the panels, test that the actuator works several times. I sprayed white rubber grease into the actuator push push button first. Once satisfied it’s working reassemble in revers of 1 & 2.
Note} please, please ignore any one that says you can open the flap just by prizing it & bending the flap… because you can’t!!! The actuator twists inside the flap as it pulls the flap inwards when closing. Try to prize & bend it you’ll only damage the flap & body work!