What size tyres have you fitted?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
CG8589
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box
Options: Xenon's, Sunroof, Leather interior

What size tyres have you fitted?

Post by CG8589 »

Hi all,

I'm going to be changing my Interlagos soon and can't decide what size tyres to go for, 235/40/18 or 225/40/18.

I'm just asking if anyone has found anything wrong with fitting 225's really.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: What size tyres have you fitted?

Post by Cuprabob »

Only reason to choose the 225/40 size over the OEM size is cost. Also there may be insurance implications of fitting a different size tyre. Personally I would stick to the OEM size as that's what VW engineers chose and set up the car around. Arch gap looks bad enough on the Scirocco without making it worse by fitting a tyre with a slightly smaller sidewall.
CG8589
In: Salsa Red
Options: Xenon's, Sunroof, Leather interior

Post by CG8589 »

Thanks, the price difference was my main reason for asking the question! Might stick with the 235's as the arch gap is big enough already, like you said.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Astonbarlow
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Indium Grey
Options: Full leather interior, heated seats, NAV, Bluetooth, dual climate control, gloss black alloys, piano black trim, gloss black exhaust tips, DAB, DCC.

Post by Astonbarlow »

Unless im misunderstanding the post but the 235 section of the code is the width of the tyre. Your rim is made to accommodate a tire of with 235mm, if you put a 225mm wide tyre on you will essentially be created a 10mm difference between tyre and rim, which could potentially cause all sorts of issue with handling. The 40 indicates with side wall radius, therefore if you were to find a tire 235/35/18 that would create a large arch gap and 235/45/18 would create a smaller arch gap but obviously you'd have a lot more tyre to wheel ratio which takes away that sport look.

If you're keeping the same wheel the only number on the tyre you can alter is the side wall radius (40), you have to keep the width and rim diameter the same.
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: Manual box
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

Sticking a 225-40 on will make it look stupid.
Arch gap will be notably larger.

Stick to 235 40. Decent tyres are around 100 per corner so not a great amount more than 225 40.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
chelspeed
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Sold it!

Post by chelspeed »

Astonbarlow - Nearly right except the 40 or 35 isn't the side wall radius as in 40mm or 35mm. It's the side wall depth as a percentage of the width so 235/40 mean the side wall is 40% of 235 and for 235/35 it's smaller as it's 35% of 235.

That's why you can go from 235/40 to perhaps 245/35 and keep a similar rolling circumference and gearing. The sidewall depth is a smaller percentage of a bigger number so stays similar.
Astonbarlow
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Indium Grey
Options: Full leather interior, heated seats, NAV, Bluetooth, dual climate control, gloss black alloys, piano black trim, gloss black exhaust tips, DAB, DCC.

Post by Astonbarlow »

Chelspeed - Ah fair game, yeah always assumed it was in mm. Well im happy to learn something new!
Harry_VW
In: Deep Black
Options: Heated leather, navigation, panoramic roof, 19" lugano, pearlescent black.

Post by Harry_VW »

Astonbarlow wrote:Unless im misunderstanding the post but the 235 section of the code is the width of the tyre. Your rim is made to accommodate a tire of with 235mm, if you put a 225mm wide tyre on you will essentially be created a 10mm difference between tyre and rim, which could potentially cause all sorts of issue with handling. The 40 indicates with side wall radius, therefore if you were to find a tire 235/35/18 that would create a large arch gap and 235/45/18 would create a smaller arch gap but obviously you'd have a lot more tyre to wheel ratio which takes away that sport look.

If you're keeping the same wheel the only number on the tyre you can alter is the side wall radius (40), you have to keep the width and rim diameter the same.
Nope. This will alter the total running circumference and therefore can affect how accurately your speedo reads.