Tigger73's Scirocco R

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
tigger73
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: RD Technik stage 2

Tigger73's Scirocco R

Post by tigger73 »

Hi I'm tigger73 and live in Adelaide, Australia.

I bought a 2016 Scirocco R a couple of months ago and have been doing a few mods...

Here's a few pics/videos of the build so far:

Last edited by tigger73 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Scirocco R - RD Technik Stage 2 ECU, Stage 3 DSG, 3" turbo-back exhaust, forge DV, R8 coil packs, 220kwaw
tigger73

Tuning

Post by tigger73 »

Here's the stage1 dyno results (RD Technik stage 1+ ECU, stage 3 DSG, all stock hardware):

Car is now stage 2. Dyno results to be posted shortly....
Last edited by tigger73 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Scirocco R - RD Technik Stage 2 ECU, Stage 3 DSG, 3" turbo-back exhaust, forge DV, R8 coil packs, 220kwaw
tigger73

Exhaust

Post by tigger73 »

Fitted up an RD Technik 3" turboback exhaust with valved muffler.

Here's a few shots of the exhaust before fitting up:

And a video of the new exhaust with before/after driveby:

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by tigger73 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
tigger73

Full-Size Spare

Post by tigger73 »

I installed a full-size spare after I picked up a second-hand turbine wheel off a Passat with right size/rating tyre.

Removed the standard foam insert and lined the floor with carpet:

Created a new floor by making a frame:

Attached a base for the floor:

I glued some automotive carpet onto the plywood that I'd previously cut out and installed this on top. I had to cut the plywood base in 2 and fold it to fit it in.

Last edited by tigger73 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tigger73

Re: Tigger73's Scirocco R

Post by tigger73 »

Cosmetic Upgrades
tigger73

Post by tigger73 »

Wheels/Suspension
tigger73

Exterior

Post by tigger73 »

Put on some C.Quartz paint protection today.

Used it as an excuse to take some shots of the car with beading:

[youtube][/youtube]

When I changed plates I removed the front number plate holder which was designed for the larger style Euro plates.

The screws the dealer used the screw into the plate holder actually also went through the front bumper so I just reused the same holes. Otherwise I probably would have lifted up the plate a bit.

Used some carpentery covers painted to body colour to cover the holes left from the plate bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by tigger73 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
tigger73

Post by tigger73 »

Lighting
tigger73

Engine Bay Bling

Post by tigger73 »

Delivery!!!!!

Forge DV installed:

The screw to hold the DV onto the existing bracket took as long to put in as the entire rest of the installation!

And some more parts arrived....

R8 Coil packs installed for an extra 5kw of "bling":

Last edited by tigger73 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigger73

Post by tigger73 »

Today I removed the Soundaktor. It's been causing the dash to vibrate and when I make phone calls in the car all the other person can hear is artificial engine noise. So it's now quiet in the cabin and I can actually hear the real engine (not just the fake one) :)

first off remove the rubber seal and rain tray from the passenger side:

This is the devil that you're looking for. There's a 10mm nut that holds it on which you'll need a socket to undo (no room to get a spanner onto it - I tried and failed):

Once removed I just zip tied the connector and wire back onto the hole that the Soundaktor was attached to. Keep things tidy and stop the cable/connector from causing any more annoying rattles...

>moto<
In: Indium Grey
Options: Leather

Post by >moto< »

Looks awesome mate. How do you like the DSG tune?
tigger73

Post by tigger73 »

>moto< wrote:Looks awesome mate. How do you like the DSG tune?
DSG tune is good. Improves the drive-ability of the stage 2 car. With the 3" exhaust the turbo does spool up a fraction later and you need to adjust the shift points in D so that instead of running 1,800-2,000rpm in D you're at 2,000-2,200rpm. It's the difference of being off-boost and on-boost.

All the other things like quicker shifting and increased torque limits are worthy upgrades but the adjustment in shift points is a must for stage 2.
Addymk2
I drive a: Haven't decided yet
In: Deep Black

Post by Addymk2 »

tigger73 wrote:
>moto< wrote:Looks awesome mate. How do you like the DSG tune?
DSG tune is good. Improves the drive-ability of the stage 2 car. With the 3" exhaust the turbo does spool up a fraction later and you need to adjust the shift points in D so that instead of running 1,800-2,000rpm in D you're at 2,000-2,200rpm. It's the difference of being off-boost and on-boost.

All the other things like quicker shifting and increased torque limits are worthy upgrades but the adjustment in shift points is a must for stage 2.
The 3 inch exhaust is causing more lag? That doesn't make sense unless it flows worse than the previous exhaust...
tigger73

Post by tigger73 »

Addymk2 wrote: The 3 inch exhaust is causing more lag? That doesn't make sense unless it flows worse than the previous exhaust...
The larger volume in the exhaust and less restriction causes the turbo to spool up a bit later. At least that's how it was explained to me ;)
Addymk2

Post by Addymk2 »

tigger73 wrote:
Addymk2 wrote: The 3 inch exhaust is causing more lag? That doesn't make sense unless it flows worse than the previous exhaust...
The larger volume in the exhaust and less restriction causes the turbo to spool up a bit later. At least that's how it was explained to me ;)
There's so much conflicting information out there!

I've always had it explained to me along these lines;
http://www.artecperformance.com/the-myt ... dump-pipe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The greater the differential of pressure the quicker the spool

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
Addymk2

Post by Addymk2 »

tigger73 wrote:
There's so much conflicting information out there!

http://www.artecperformance.com/the-myt ... dump-pipe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
tigger73

Post by tigger73 »

Addymk2 wrote: There's so much conflicting information out there!

Well that's how my tuner explained it to me. He said the turbo needed a certain amount of back-pressure before it started to make boost.

Because I had a 3" system with very little restriction it needed a few hundred more rpm before the boost started to come on.

I've noticed it driving too.
>moto<
In: Indium Grey
Options: Leather

Post by >moto< »

It does seem to go against convention. The turbo usually sits straight after the exhaust manifold (which I don't think you have changed) so should spool up at least the same as before. The difference is that with a larger downpipe, sports cat and an exhaust, you have less back pressure opposing the turbo....meaning that, if anything, it should be a able to spool up faster.

Anyway, as long as you're happy. I bet it goes well with those mods, I was fairly happy with the torque increase from stage 1. Thanks for the info on the DSG tune, it's probably my next mod.

EDIT: where did you get the colour coded bungs/covers for the holes left when removing the number plate? I've got holes at the rear and want to remove the front but have been holding off until I get them resprayed. If I could get some covers like yours it would be a good middle ground.
tigger73

Post by tigger73 »

>moto< wrote:It does seem to go against convention. The turbo usually sits straight after the exhaust manifold (which I don't think you have changed) so should spool up at least the same as before. The difference is that with a larger downpipe, sports cat and an exhaust, you have less back pressure opposing the turbo....meaning that, if anything, it should be a able to spool up faster.
Well I'm putting the car back on the dyno in a couple of days so will get the stage1/stage2 comparison chart so hopefully it'll show where the power/torque gets created comparing the 2.
>moto< wrote:Anyway, as long as you're happy. I bet it goes well with those mods, I was fairly happy with the torque increase from stage 1. Thanks for the info on the DSG tune, it's probably my next mod.
Yes it does go well. I was actually happy with stage 1 as the car drove like stock but just a lot quicker, however I got an offer on the exhaust system that I couldn't refuse.... and the rest as they say is history.
>moto< wrote:EDIT: where did you get the colour coded bungs/covers for the holes left when removing the number plate? I've got holes at the rear and want to remove the front but have been holding off until I get them resprayed. If I could get some covers like yours it would be a good middle ground.
Used some carpentery stick on screw covers painted to body colour to cover the holes left from the plate bracket. One of the other local Scirocco guys had a sheet of them sprayed. If I'm really keen I'll get the holes filled and sprayed but these work pretty well in the meantime.

You should be able to find these at a hardware store. They are what carpenters use to cover screw heads in cabinets. Here is what is available at my local hardware: https://www.bunnings.com.au/prestige-14 ... k_p2251617
tigger73

Post by tigger73 »

Out with a couple of friends: