Maisonian's Carbon Candy

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Re: Maisonian's Carbon Candy

Post by xjay1337 »

Any decent body shop will have no issues painting on carbon

Seems dumb though. Leave it carbon or keep the stock bonnet.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
Carbon Goodies
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Carbon Goodies »

Absolutely you can paint directly onto carbon fibre no problems dude.
kieran_67
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Leather heated interior, panoramic sun roof and folding mirrors, parking sensors, adjustable dampening suspesion

Post by kieran_67 »

xjay1337 wrote:Any decent body shop will have no issues painting on carbon

Seems dumb though. Leave it carbon or keep the stock bonnet.
they're probably just after the vented look as it looks good. shame there isn't a cheap metal alternative.
Maisonian
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS 510 & Dynaudio Soundpack
19" Talladega Alloys (Gunmetal grey)
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
Kerscher CF Front Lip Spoiler
Maxton Designs CF under runners
Dectane Litec Smoked Rear Lights
Forge Twin-take Induction Kit
GFB DV+
Modified Audi TTs Engine cover & peripherals

Post by Maisonian »

Great replies so far regarding the bonnet, thanks!

To clarify; the it's the look I'm after more so than a CF hood, but as mentioned there is no metal alternative that I can find currently. My plan was to perhaps mask up the vents themselves, leaving an 'outline' of carbon fibre around the mesh grill vents where they are raised, but have the remainder of the bonnet matching white.

Just toying with it as an idea however, it's a lot of dosh to invest if the outcome isn't spot on!
Scirocco R - Converting Petrol into Fun via the Wallet.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=22769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Golf Mk7 R Badges showed up today, all the way from Down Under!

Fitting was easy enough; masking tape and body lines for guidance. Pleased with the end result!

(Quick Phone-cam snaps @ lower res)

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=22769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

A few bits and pieces ordered; starting work under the hood now.

Forge Twintake

Audi TTS Engine Cover (06F 103 925 J)

The plan here is to de-badge and spray the main body Candy White, while either Hydrodipping the Inserts once prepped, or sticking with a Gloss Black.
The mounting bolts have been purchased from the 'Bay (WHT 000 731 A & 06E 103 164 E)

Audi R8 Oil Cap (420 103 485 B) & Coolant Cap (420 121 321)

On a downside, I managed to bottom out on an incline, scraping my front spoiler. Being Carbon Fibre it didn't respond too kindly to being sanded by 2 tonnes of Car Vs Road :(
Its still physically in one piece but I've now half a mind to put a rubberised or plastic beading on the leading edge to hide the slight damage, and protect it from further scuffs.

Anyone else found an elegant solution to this problem?

Phil
In: Night Blue
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

Maisonian wrote: On a downside, I managed to bottom out on an incline, scraping my front spoiler. Being Carbon Fibre it didn't respond too kindly to being sanded by 2 tonnes of Car Vs Road :(
Its still physically in one piece but I've now half a mind to put a rubberised or plastic beading on the leading edge to hide the slight damage, and protect it from further scuffs.

Anyone else found an elegant solution to this problem?
Sadly mate its the reason I can't bring myself to by the kerscher. Looks perfect, but for the money and the probability it will get caught/damaged I just can't justify it.

Myself and another forum member are designing our owns splitters, and having a few additionals cut out. Will be made out of black plastic (foamex most likely) and will cost considerably less than the kerscher - watch this space and if your interested in one, let me know :)

Phil
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Phil wrote:Sadly mate its the reason I can't bring myself to by the kerscher. Looks perfect, but for the money and the probability it will get caught/damaged I just can't justify it.

Myself and another forum member are designing our owns splitters, and having a few additionals cut out. Will be made out of black plastic (foamex most likely) and will cost considerably less than the kerscher - watch this space and if your interested in one, let me know :)

Ah nice one! I'll keep my eyes peeled and see how these come out, thanks for the heads up! The Kerscher is a great bit of design, but the dreaded crunch is always on your mind (I got caught out by having an extra person in the car over a ramp I've driven up before). Gonna see if I can't get a rubber beading along the bottom for now; but further damage may result in it being taken off. Might also see about a CF repair kit; dunno yet!

In the meantime; the TTS cover has been dissected & is being filled and sprayed. Inserts should be Candy White with CF inserts & the main body re-sprayed black.

Interestingly enough, I made my insurance company aware of the Twintake kit going in. I'm with Direct Line & expected it to be an arm and a leg...turns out it's an extra £21 a year!?! It seems that the increase of price is linked to the BHP increase, relative to the vehicles original horsepower. As the intake is 'manufacture quoted' as being 14hp, the increase was less than 10% of my car's stock BHP. There's an irony to be found there I suppose that more expensive cars are cheaper to modify (r.e. Insurance); but then again you pay more to start so :Shrug:

Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Update: The Forge Twintake is in! Big thanks to W33don for the sale; the carbon cans are in and everything is running smoothly.

Overall, I noticed an improved throttle response under acceleration for those considering the mod.

Tomorrow the plan is to get the Audi TTs engine cover sprayed up and fitted; matt black body with Candy white detailing & CF wrap inserts. Fingers crossed it all comes together as planned!

M.maslen

Post by M.maslen »

Love the carbon and white look, looks slick
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Main body of the engine cover has now been sprayed matt black; the old man's a bit of a wizard with the spraycan & the finish is better than I could have hoped for! Doing the white inserts this week & hopefully have it all together by Friday (We've got to locate the cans of white spray *SOMEWHERE* in the shed) :D

In the meantime, I've treated myself to a GFB DV+ to hopefully compliment the induction kit & sharpen up the throttle response.

I've also got the thermal-resistant paint handy to smarten up the hubs and calipers; matt black and metallic red respectively. Will have to keep my eyes peeled for a good weekend of weather to get them done though!

Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Decals and DV+ arrived today (fitting at weekend)

Mockup placement of engine cover complete; coming along nicely!

Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Fitted the GFB DV+ today and gave the car a run to check all was working as intended. No problems, nice and responsive acceleration and nothing but beautiful noise from the engine...Like Thor and Darth Vader having a battle to the death =D

The engine cover got finished today; my Dad ended up taking it on as a little project...and to say the outcome was 'good' would be an understatement. After getting all the base layers & components sprayed, we ordered some new resistant 3M Carbon Wrap and finished the inserts.

R8 Oil & Coolant cap fitted too; although still trying to work out how to align the coolant so its not 'upside down' haha. Its the little things XD

Hopefully get some decent shots in the daylight; might have a bit of a photo session at Goodwood in a few weeks!

Phil
In: Night Blue
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

Like that engine cover a lot!! I've always been very happy to not have a cover on mine as not seen one that takes my fancy but that's really smart
Phil
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Phil wrote:Like that engine cover a lot!! I've always been very happy to not have a cover on mine as not seen one that takes my fancy but that's really smart
Thanks Phil! Yeah, I was really pleased with the outcome! It took a bit of searching and planning to get the look I wanted; I ended up adapting a few ideas I saw into the finished product.

Making one isn't too tricky with a basic skill set, just a bit of patience and planning :D Dissected the TTs cover (take off the back insulating foam, pop out the inserts), debadged the Audi logo (drilled out the pins and filled with flexible filler), prepped, primed & sanded the components and then put a couple of layers of heat resistant paint on (standard should be fine tbh but can't say how long it would last)

Once all the components were painted, we cut templates for the vinyl wrap, over-cut the vinyl itself (to allow it to be wrapped) and then moulded it into position with a hairdryer. Finished up by re-assembling the bits and pieces and selected a badge I liked the look of to finish off the look (it was a toss up between the one I used and a chrome VWR logo).

Think the trickiest bit was finding the mounting pins for the cover itself (they're on back order at Audi). Best bet is just to get the EBay alternatives which work absolutely fine for purpose!

Should finish off the engine bay this weekend with a black OEM screenwash filler cap. Automotive OCD Kicked in and wouldn't let me keep the *BLUE* one...

Alex1984

Post by Alex1984 »

nice
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

First ever car show today; headed out at 5am to the Goodwood Breakfast Club!

Spent three hours yesterday afternoon detailing and cleaning, degreased and tidied up the engine bay & have the bodywork a full clean and wax.

After meeting on the A3, I ended up in a convoy of 5 friends & headed down to Portsmouth through the Hindhead tunnel (windows down & 'let me sing you the song of my people'). Arrived just before 7 and managed to bag a spot in the Paddock Area (plus got to go on the track before anyone turned up):D

An absolutely perfect day for it, sunny and cold; inspired a huge turnout! Lots of Fords and VWs, but only one other Scirocco! Had some great interest in the car & the work that's been done so far, great atmosphere and great food! Cant wait for the next one!

Ill leave you guys with some photos from the day (and hopefully will post some more here as they filter through on social media from the day)

Rocco...

And Friends!

VW Scirocco R

VW Golf Mk2

Audi RS3

VW Golf Mk4 Anniversary GTI

VW Golf Mk5 R32

VW Golf Mk3

VW Golf Mk1

VW Golf Mk7 Clubsport

Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Quick update, the front end of the Rocco had a motorway encounter with not so Fantastic Mr Fox.

Luckily, not too much damage:
- Broke a clip on the passenger side air vent, causing it to come loose.
- Cracked the internal vectoring piece of plastic on that side going to the radiator assembly.
- Damaged the CF front splitter.

At first I was a bit bummed but after seeing the damage that's befallen other motors after Fluff-Strikes, I'll take that one and move on without too much postulating.

My dad ran a great repair on the splitter today; bonded some reinforced rubber to the leading edge which fixes the damage and should prevent any further minor impacts causing a problem (pics to follow).

With 2017 approaching it's time to assess what's on the list to Santa :D

- 15mm spacers Front & Rear
- Set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Aesymmetric 3s (they're like hens teeth right now)
- MOAR CARBON (tm) including rear diffuser, side skirt under-stripping and possibly front radiator grille assembly.
- Painted Callipers, thinking metallic blue at the moment.
- Turbo-back Exhaust system & Remap (Rtech are looking good at the moment)
- Anti-Fox Snowplough.

xjay1337
In: Rising Blue
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

Be lucky it wasn't a deer.

I hit 2 in 3 months and did 2 AC condensors as well as the first one smashing my bonnet up as well.

RE tyres , look at the Michelin PS4.

They are better.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

xjay1337 wrote:Be lucky it wasn't a deer.

I hit 2 in 3 months and did 2 AC condensors as well as the first one smashing my bonnet up as well.

RE tyres , look at the Michelin PS4.

They are better.
Amen to this! I my first car was an S-Reg Polo that got totalled by a falling tree! The conversation with the police was fairly amusing looking back on it...

"Hello, Police? Yes a tree has just hit my car!"
"Ummm, have you been drinking sir?"

*Police car turns up*

"OOOOOOH you weren't kidding..."

Not a scratch on me though; gotta love VW Safety Systems!

Thanks for the shout on the tyres, I'll have a peek!