Maisonian's Carbon Candy

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
Maisonian
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS 510 & Dynaudio Soundpack
19" Talladega Alloys (Gunmetal grey)
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
Kerscher CF Front Lip Spoiler
Maxton Designs CF under runners
Dectane Litec Smoked Rear Lights
Forge Twin-take Induction Kit
GFB DV+
Modified Audi TTs Engine cover & peripherals

Re: Maisonian's Carbon Candy

Post by Maisonian »

First purchase of the new year; finally sorted out some new rubber!

Managed to get a good deal on a full set of Michelin Pilot Supersports. While up the higher end of pricey, its never a bad thing to invest in. I did have a look at the PilotSport 4 and 4S, but couldn't find any at a price I was happy with.

Also continuing with the carbon fibre exterior trim; bought a set of Maxton Design side skirts. Hopefully they'll mesh well with the Kerscher front lip.

Both should be coming in around 2 weeks, stay tuned for pics!

(Also the poor car needs a wash haha)
Scirocco R - Converting Petrol into Fun via the Wallet.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=22769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

PSS are good.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

New shoes arrived today! Fitting on Monday if all goes to plan :D

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=22769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Tyres all fitted and balanced today; demfeels.jpg

Took the car out for a quick run to the local hand car wash, clean the fitting goo off the rims & just smarten everything up.

As a thought; I'll probably fork out for a wheel refurb come the warmer weather, either go for Black or Gunmetal metallic.

xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

Eww, local car washes. Shudder.
click for build thread
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

xjay1337 wrote:Eww, local car washes. Shudder.
Haha, in fairness they've always done a decent job at my local. Beats digging out the pressure washer at the moment, think I'd be spraying the car with slush puppy considering how bloody cold it is!

Ironically, she's all dirty again now XD Ah well it was nice while it lasted. White cars and winter don't mix, I miss my Silver mk4 Golf; that paintjob hid a multitude of sins!

Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

So its been a little while since I gave the car a bit of love and attention; so much so that I'd forgotten she was originally white!

Break out the cleaning gear, hoovered and cleaned the interior with various TurtleWax bits and pieces, then went around the outside with Demon Wheels, Foam and TurtleWax Tar & Bug remover. Combined this with good ol' hot soapy water and elbow grease to get the really caked on crap off. Finished up with a full coat of polymer resin finish for that showroom-reflection finish.

All that cleaning whetted my appetite to break the camera out and enjoy a drive; I set out to a few locations to see what I could do with the late-afternoon sun and overcast sky giving some fairly decent lighting.

On a side note, the CF Side Skirt Under-runners are scheduled for delivery this week, and I may have found a decent rear diffuser that doesn't cost the earth!

xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

Maisonian wrote:
xjay1337 wrote:Eww, local car washes. Shudder.
Haha, in fairness they've always done a decent job at my local. Beats digging out the pressure washer at the moment, think I'd be spraying the car with slush puppy considering how bloody cold it is!

Ironically, she's all dirty again now XD Ah well it was nice while it lasted. White cars and winter don't mix, I miss my Silver mk4 Golf; that paintjob hid a multitude of sins!
Sure, they clean the car, but the chemicals they use are so harsh and their wash techniques cause all manner of swirls on the paint. :(
click for build thread
oconnor94

Post by oconnor94 »

Love this build man - defo gives me inspiration for my new Candy Rocco!

Look forward to seeing any new mods you've got planned :)
Instagram: stephenoc_
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

oconnor94 wrote:Love this build man - defo gives me inspiration for my new Candy Rocco!

Thanks man! I think the plan at the moment is along the lines of:

- CF effect Side skirt under runners to be fitted.

- Auto boot openers have been ordered today (these looked amazing for basically £30) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01BB6 ... 7002806713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Rear Diffuser.

After these, there's a few on the wish list:

- The big save-up for a new exhaust system, at the moment I'm leaning towards BCS 3" R system and a remap to bring the best out of all the powertrain mods.

- Upgraded Discs and Pads

- Wheel refurb & repaint the callipers (planning VWR metallic blue)

- Spacers and Springs; 10mm F/B and 35mm drop, although I'm fearful of ripping the bits off the underside of the car with speed bumps!

- Vented bonnet

I'm sure other things will distract me on route! Stay tuned for pics!

oconnor94

Post by oconnor94 »

Maisonian wrote:
oconnor94 wrote:Love this build man - defo gives me inspiration for my new Candy Rocco!

Thanks man! I think the plan at the moment is along the lines of:

- CF effect Side skirt under runners to be fitted.

- Auto boot openers have been ordered today (these looked amazing for basically £30) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01BB6 ... 7002806713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Rear Diffuser.

After these, there's a few on the wish list:

- The big save-up for a new exhaust system, at the moment I'm leaning towards BCS 3" R system and a remap to bring the best out of all the powertrain mods.

- Upgraded Discs and Pads

- Wheel refurb & repaint the callipers (planning VWR metallic blue)

- Spacers and Springs; 10mm F/B and 35mm drop, although I'm fearful of ripping the bits off the underside of the car with speed bumps!

- Vented bonnet

I'm sure other things will distract me on route! Stay tuned for pics!
Sounds good man! I'll defo keep an eye to see what you do next!

I was looking at the exact same rear diffuser for mine :)

Also planning on getting a new exhaust system - not too sure what to go for yet though!

Keep up the good work man.
Yidwann

Post by Yidwann »

Some really nice mods on this mate, liking it a lot. Shame I am just leasing mine, that carbon front splitter is lovely, really adds to it.

You cannot go wrong with Mich PSS, they are an epic tyre, bags of grip. However i'd also agree on car washing places, won't be so bad on white, but they are built for speed, and whilst clean, will give zero care about your paint, if you are precious about it.
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

So a quick update; irony has struck....
Maisonian wrote:Bought my plate a few weeks ago; D5 MVW. Have a cheap set of MOT plates from Halfrauds, and a set of decent looking ones (carbon fibre gel in legal font) laid out as D5M VW. So far, no issues (touch wood).

Yes, the law does say that you cannot change the spacing; however there's plenty of other things that'll get pulled for before anyone gets uppity about where you put the space. Stick to legal fonts and don't drive like a pleb & you should be just fine!
Got pulled over by the Old Bill the other night for...Illegal font spacing of my Licence Plate. The guy even got out a ruler. I'm guessing it must have been a slow night!

Luckily they sent me on my way with a rectification notice (which works out well as my MOT is in a few weeks anyway) rather than £100 fine. I 'guess' that's a good enough excuse to reprint some plates without the EU symbol on them :D

In other news...

I hit the big 60K!

On the cards is a nice full-on detailing session I feel; just bought a Foliatec Caliper Kit in metallic blue and will probably fork out to get the alloys refurbished come the summer!

Also got a set of replacement 310mm Brembo discs for the rear with ATE Ceramic pads ahead of the MOT in the next week.
Yidwann wrote:Some really nice mods on this mate, liking it a lot. Shame I am just leasing mine, that carbon front splitter is lovely, really adds to it.

You cannot go wrong with Mich PSS, they are an epic tyre, bags of grip. However i'd also agree on car washing places, won't be so bad on white, but they are built for speed, and whilst clean, will give zero care about your paint, if you are precious about it.
Thanks mate! Hoping to have the side runners on soon as well in time for show season & the tyres are great, even with the fairly rubbish weather we've had.

Fair call from you and Xjay about the car washes though, defo going to be a bit more protective of the paint this year (always interested to hear what people use as their weapon of choice for detailing). I've only really this year gained an appreciation for both the mechanical and general upkeep side of motoring so its always good to learn from experience!

Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Well, just as I'm planning to get everything fitted...along comes a snag.

I'm queuing for the carpark for work and some absolute moron reverses out of her drive and into the side of my car! Its not like cars these days come equipped with luxuries such as reversing sensors, wing mirrors or a even a rear windscreen! :grumpy:

Saving me from becoming an inconsolable rage monster, dealing with the insurance company was surprisingly straight forward. Thankfully, the driver admitted fault and her insurance company is footing the bill, my NCB and Excess aren't affected (Phew)

So the Roc's off for minor cosmetic surgery and a respray this week, in the meantime I've got this beast to get me from A to B;

Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

Following my minor nudge with the arse-end of a wayward Polo, the guys at Veetec Neasden did a simply fantastic job in fixing up the door frame and passenger side. Respray is barely noticeable (the spray was tailored to the inside of the door-shut), the little details weren't overlooked and the staff were friendly and professional. Glad I didn't have to fork out the £2.5k it supposedly took to put it all right, but hey! For being crashed into, it wasn't a wholly unpleasant experience XD

Now that she's back I splashed out and bought a bunch of Autoglym detailing gear as it was at a decent price when I saw it:
- Autoglym Perfect Wheels & Bodywork Collection
- Autoglym HD Wax

Having never done a full-on detailing session before, it was uncharted territory! Resorted to a very un-manly tactic of reading the instructions, but was over the moon with the results :D

Body
- Rinse
- Demon foam Snowfoam
- Two bucket wash Autoglym shampoo
- Shammy & microfibre cloth dry
- Autoglym Super Resin Polish
- Autoglym High Definition Wax

Wheels
- Demon Wheels spray
- Autoglym Clean Wheels
- Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing
- Autoglym Alloy Wheel Seal

I was surprised at the difference that the polish & wax made, a beautiful glassy finish (and a pleasure to clean with a cheeky pressure wash to take all the bugs off the front each week). Feedback was helpful too from the FB site; next time its microfiber all the way, not just for the polishing. *Throws shammy in the Pit of Doom*

With the list of jobs backing up, I enlisted the help of the Old Man again; fitting the Maxton Design carbon effect side runners and changing the rear disk brakes.

The side runners looked spot-on in terms of meshing with the front spoiler, a couple of carefully placed rivets and the supplied sealant later and they were on :hyper: Have to admit, they didn't look like they'd mesh with the side skirts 'out of the packet', but once offered up to the right place they were good to go.

The rear disks were...less than easy. After doing my research, the intimation was that they'd simply slide out diagonally once the caliper was removed. However, turns out on the R that the caliper carriers need to ALSO be removed in order to slide the oversized discs. After abandoning the effort the first time due to not possessing the right hex-nut, the second time also ended in failure due to not getting enough purchase on the bolt once the rear-end was jacked up. After bribing enough work-friends with promises of beer, we got the car up on a ramp and required a 6ft torque bar to loosen the carrier off! After that, the change was plain sailing; the rears being replaced with Brembo discs with ATE Ceramic pads.

Anyhoo, enough waffle! Pics!

Next on the list; fitting rear Dectanes \m/ ';..;' \m/ Hope to have them fitted and running by 20th May for the Newforest meeting :D

Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

And just like public transport; you wait for one update and two show up at the same time!

The Dectane rear lights showed up today, a big thank-you to Tinkythomas who was an absolute pleasure to do business with. Fitting was incredibly simple, a plastic screw removed and the lights were plug-and-play out of the box. Fitment was good for aftermarket lights, really pleased with the way they look!

Attempted to get some high-res shots, but lost the daylight before I was able to this evening. A quick snap with the phone-cam will have to whet the appetite :D

Next on the list:
- Strip, prep and paint Calipers & reinstate 'R' Decals.
- New Boot struts and Door Puddle Lights.

oconnor94

Post by oconnor94 »

Maisonian wrote:And just like public transport; you wait for one update and two show up at the same time!

The Dectane rear lights showed up today, a big thank-you to Tinkythomas who was an absolute pleasure to do business with. Fitting was incredibly simple, a plastic screw removed and the lights were plug-and-play out of the box. Fitment was good for aftermarket lights, really pleased with the way they look!

Attempted to get some high-res shots, but lost the daylight before I was able to this evening. A quick snap with the phone-cam will have to whet the appetite :D

Next on the list:
- Strip, prep and paint Calipers & reinstate 'R' Decals.
- New Boot struts and Door Puddle Lights.
Loving the updates mate, looking good!!

After seeing the Dectanes, I think I need them now haha where did you get them from mate? and would they fit on my R-Line easy?

Keep it up :)
Maisonian
Leather Seats
Dual Bonnet Strut Kit
GFB DV+

Post by Maisonian »

oconnor94 wrote: After seeing the Dectanes, I think I need them now haha where did you get them from mate? and would they fit on my R-Line easy?

Thanks man! I was lucky enough to snap these up off another member of the forum!

These particular ones are 'Dectane Litec Red/Smoked'. There's a few on EBay for about £250 including postage:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Scirocco-3-0 ... Ciid%253A3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dectane do a few designs, so it's well worth having a browse to see what suits your personal tastes :D

The fitting was exceptionally easy, if yours is pre-facelift then it'll fit with no problem. If you check in your boot there's a small square in the sides of the boot liner. Pop these out and you'll see the white plastic spring-screw that holds the lights in. Changing the lights is simply a case of unplug the old, plug in the new and reattach using the original fittings!

oconnor94

Post by oconnor94 »

Maisonian wrote:
oconnor94 wrote: After seeing the Dectanes, I think I need them now haha where did you get them from mate? and would they fit on my R-Line easy?

Thanks man! I was lucky enough to snap these up off another member of the forum!

These particular ones are 'Dectane Litec Red/Smoked'. There's a few on EBay for about £250 including postage:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Scirocco-3-0 ... Ciid%253A3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dectane do a few designs, so it's well worth having a browse to see what suits your personal tastes :D

The fitting was exceptionally easy, if yours is pre-facelift then it'll fit with no problem. If you check in your boot there's a small square in the sides of the boot liner. Pop these out and you'll see the white plastic spring-screw that holds the lights in. Changing the lights is simply a case of unplug the old, plug in the new and reattach using the original fittings!
Nice one, thanks for the link mate! I'll be sure to take a look :)

Yep I've got pre-facelift, so sounds pretty simple!

Looking forward to seeing your car at the New Forest meet mate :D
vintage67
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: standard GT spec plus black turbines.
Small mods so far - debadged bum, private plate, upgraded headlights and exterior LEDs, covered cup holder and ashtray.

Post by vintage67 »

Car is looking great Maisonian :yes:
can I just ask if your rear lights all work ok? has the fog light issue been fixed (no longer remain on all the time).

cheers
Previous VAGs:
Corrado 16v
Golf Mk4 GTTDI
Audi S3