Tom's Bagged TDiR : FULL 2016 R Fakelift - NOW SOLD - 11 Aug

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
Tom
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: #TeamAF

INSTAGRAM: @tomhamsyo
Auto Finesse Sponsored

Tom's Bagged TDiR : FULL 2016 R Fakelift - NOW SOLD - 11 Aug

Post by Tom »

Hey! I've been lurking in the background for a while now, reading other peoples threads and getting some inspiration but thought I'd sit down and write up a progress thread.

After sitting down and working out just how much I was spending on running my previous car (350z), it was time to get something better suited to my needs. A 3.5l petrol thirsty v6 is not ideal when you're covering near 2,000 miles a month plus insurance costs for a 21 year old were out of this world! :mad:

I was originally planning on buying a MK6 Golf TDI however after going to view one I absolutely hated it. The salesman that I saw recommended a scirocco, same engine and reliability as a golf but a little more sporty and a few more gadgets inside. After sitting in one at a VW garage it felt like a completely different car and I fell in love! my mind was made up so the next few nights consisted of searching ebay, autotrader, pistonheads and gumtree for the right one. I wasn't too fussy, but it had to be diesel, preferably white, low-ish miles and have touch screen media.

A few days later one popped up (slightly more than I originally planned on spending) but great condition, mileage and had everything I wanted so I took the plunge and bought it! Here she is the day I bought it and on the drive home, my 59 plate 2.0 tdi rocco:

After a good clean:

I am absolutely loving it so far, 55mpg average (almost 3 times the 350z!) and such a comfortable drive.

Mods have already begun.. i purchased some LED rear numberplate lights (the whole unit, not just the bulb) - to say they're 'bright' would be an understatement:

Lots of plans for this one, a few listed below:

- Coilovers
- Dished Wheels of some sort
- Dewiper
- Colour coded side strips
- Full LED interior bulb upgrade
- Projector Xenon Headlights (from Scirocco R)
- Scirocco R rear lights
- Scirocco R front bumper
- Scirocco R rear bumper
- Scirocco R side skirts
- Front Splitter
- New interior mats

Full LED interior and exterior bulb upgrade is now complete. I've also dropped off some replacement door bump strips to a local body shop which are being colour coded as we speak and should be ready to fit Thursday, plus my private plate is finally on! Also purchased a 3/4 plate for the front:

Also, more good news! These are on pre order ready for release next February :) They are already available in 5x114 fitment but 5x112 fitment is being released early next year. They are Whistler KR1's in 18 inch, 9.5J. Should hopefully suit the look I'm going for... just need to get coilovers before fitting them!

Lots more to come, will keep this updated as regularly as possible. Thanks for reading :)

Tom
Last edited by Tom on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:34 am, edited 16 times in total.
http://www.autofinesse.co.uk
DM me for Scirocco Central exclusive Autofinesse discounts/freebies with your next order!
Shaun1982
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: DSG box

Re: UKtom's Scirocco derv - watch this space!

Post by Shaun1982 »

Good choice! Its funny how so many people hose the same path of cars. I found that a lot of previous fto owners bought zeds(I've had 2) which then moved onto the rocco. Strange huh lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Tom

Auto Finesse Sponsored

Post by Tom »

Shaun1982 wrote:Good choice! Its funny how so many people hose the same path of cars. I found that a lot of previous fto owners bought zeds(I've had 2) which then moved onto the rocco. Strange huh lol

haha thanks! Yeah! Went from one end of the spectrum to the other, but I have to say I actually prefer the rocco to the 350z :clap:

Small update - we tried to fit the colour coded door strips on Thursday but the paint code was slightly off, so my local bodyshop weren't happy and have offered to repaint them at no extra cost.

I did however splash out on getting the roof wrapped gloss black! I was undecided what to do with the spoiler because of its shape, but I'm happy with the outcome and it looks a million times different in person :) Some pics of before, during and after (apologies for crappy iphone pics):

I'm hoping to purchase coilovers soon, they should be on by the end of the year fingers crossed - and then wheels to follow at the beginning of next year woo!

It's slowly coming together and I'm falling even more in love with the car with every day I own it!

Thanks for looking,
Tom
DM me for Scirocco Central exclusive Autofinesse discounts/freebies with your next order!
Shaun1982

Post by Shaun1982 »

I prefer roofs done like yours,don't like the spoiler done too because of its overlap onto the sides.
I'd like mine done I think along with the bottom of the rear bumper

Tom

Auto Finesse Sponsored

Post by Tom »

Shaun1982 wrote:I prefer roofs done like yours,don't like the spoiler done too because of its overlap onto the sides.
I'd like mine done I think along with the bottom of the rear bumper

Thanks man! I did consider doing the bottom of the rear bumper but I want to put an R bumper on at some point so seemed like a waste of time/money. I've also been thinking of some new rear lights - maybe the smoked R lights or the dectane lights like below (I'm swaying towards dectane ones!!)

Tom
Shaun1982

Post by Shaun1982 »

I'm not sure if people have been having some issues with aftermarket rear lights on here
x.laura.x
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by x.laura.x »

Hey welcome along :)

nice progress so far :D when you get the coilovers you will love your car even more!! they look top notch when lowered :) I love mine now its lowered
/////AMG
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by /////AMG »

Welcome!

Looking good so far! I've been toying with those dectanes too mate, but they aren't for RHD cars unfortunately! They look amazing though.
Can I ask where you got you from 3/4 plate from? Looks nice and tidy.
Tom

Auto Finesse Sponsored

Post by Tom »

Shaun1982 wrote:I'm not sure if people have been having some issues with aftermarket rear lights on here
Ah really? Thanks for the heads up! I will have to look into it further...
x.laura.x wrote:Hey welcome along :)

nice progress so far :D when you get the coilovers you will love your car even more!! they look top notch when lowered :) I love mine now its lowered
Hey and thanks! I took the car into Volkswagen for a service yesterday and was given a Golf as a courtesy car for the day - I hated it!!!! It was such a relief to get back into the rocco even after one day without it haha.. :hyper:
/////AMG wrote:Welcome!

Looking good so far! I've been toying with those dectanes too mate, but they aren't for RHD cars unfortunately! They look amazing though.
Thanks! That's such a pain, I really like them too :( . The 3/4 plate was from CraigsPlates - I can't remember the exact measurement as it was a "Custom" plate but its the same size as the 3/4 plates people use on Clio's - it fit's really well on the rocco's front bumper though! If you cant find any of the measurements online I can measure my plate when I get home for you, just let me know. :)

Oh... and just an excuse for another photo taken last night..

Tom
Tom

Auto Finesse Sponsored

Post by Tom »

...played around with vagcom at the weekend, put a couple of the changes on a vine :D

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm planning on doing some more adjustments later this week ;)
Tom
Shaun1982

Post by Shaun1982 »

I couldn't get needle sweep to work for me. Nor the auto window closure when it rains
scirocco1984
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: More than 300 characters!!!

Post by scirocco1984 »

UKtom wrote:...played around with vagcom at the weekend, put a couple of the changes on a vine :D

Tom
Love the needle sweep, can my 2009 do it?? Has red MFD though???

Thanks

Paul
Theres no such thing as "grey area" im just plain and simple "black & white"
easyrider
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
Options: sensors, folding mirrors, cup spoiler, pano roof, cruise, 19s, leather, rns510, power seat, xenons, LED interior/exterior & puddle lights, vwr springs, fluffy driver's glovebox, aardvark

Post by easyrider »

scirocco1984 wrote:
UKtom wrote:...played around with vagcom at the weekend, put a couple of the changes on a vine :D

Tom
Love the needle sweep, can my 2009 do it?? Has red MFD though???

Thanks

Paul
unfortunately not - white mfds only. :mad:
Victor's thread: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=17412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: @quietresonance
RoccoDav
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by RoccoDav »

Where you get your numberplate lights from dude??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom

Auto Finesse Sponsored

Post by Tom »

Thanks for the comments guys :) As mentioned above, you'll need the white MFD :yes:
RoccoDav wrote:Where you get your numberplate lights from dude??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Off eBay mate, see link here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271219982418? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So a bit of an update/progress: my EML has been coming on/off for the past few days and after numerous fault code readings, plus a vagcom EML reset today I've pretty much established that despite the error codes indicating a faulty DPF, it is likely to just be a faulty DPF sensor.

I will be on the phone first thing tomorrow morning to order a replacement... hopefully it's a lot less than paying £1500 on a brand new DPF, which leaves more money for car mods :clap:

Tom
Mark101uk

Post by Mark101uk »

Car is looking great,loving the mods and the plans you have,i can vouch for how bright the number plate LEDs are as i have them in my current MK5 Astra and they are amazing. Hoping to be in a Rocco next year myself :D
/////AMG
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150

Post by /////AMG »

UKtom wrote:
Shaun1982 wrote:I'm not sure if people have been having some issues with aftermarket rear lights on here
Ah really? Thanks for the heads up! I will have to look into it further...
x.laura.x wrote:Hey welcome along :)

Hey and thanks! I took the car into Volkswagen for a service yesterday and was given a Golf as a courtesy car for the day - I hated it!!!! It was such a relief to get back into the rocco even after one day without it haha.. :hyper:
/////AMG wrote:Welcome!

Thanks! That's such a pain, I really like them too :( . The 3/4 plate was from CraigsPlates - I can't remember the exact measurement as it was a "Custom" plate but its the same size as the 3/4 plates people use on Clio's - it fit's really well on the rocco's front bumper though! If you cant find any of the measurements online I can measure my plate when I get home for you, just let me know. :)

Oh... and just an excuse for another photo taken last night..

Tom
If you don't mind mate, can I have the measurements? I just want to make sure I get the right size.
Tom

Auto Finesse Sponsored

Post by Tom »

Thanks for the comments guys! I'll get the numberplate measurements ASAP :)

Today has been a productive day with the rocco - started off by visiting a friends body shop to get my side strips colour coded - obligatory photo below of when we arrived earlier this morning:

A few hours later, all new colour coded side strips had been fitted... but the car was filthy! So back home, gave the car a proper going over. Snow foam, clayed, polished and waxed. Here are the results:

On a side note, my future plans have slightly changed - I'm currently saving for air which should be fitted around March 2015... can't wait!!

Thanks for looking!
Tom
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Looks great! Very clean. Like the roof to :)
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Tom

Auto Finesse Sponsored

Post by Tom »

whiteDevil_170 wrote:Looks great! Very clean. Like the roof to :)
Thanks! Appreciate the kind comments :)

Forgot to upload this the other day - I did a photoshop of how it should look once it's on air!! Can't wait :D

Thanks for looking,
Tom