Scirocco CR170 "Project Racek0r"

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Re: Scirocco CR170 "Project Racek0r"

Post by xjay1337 »

The OEM mic is in the little compartment near the central light.
This comes with a remote wire mic like any aftermarket system so you can route the microphone to where you like :)
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
Technane
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black

Post by Technane »

Cool that's what I was thinking, so it's just your standard 3.5mm Jack on the OEM one? not some a loom plug? if not I don't see an issue just taping a Third party mic into that space, most of the aftermarkets I reckon would fit.
xjay1337
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

I dunno, I haven't ripped apart the center console in the roof to check. I wouldn't think the OEM is 3.5mm... I would imagine it's proprietary connection to the OEM bluetooth module.
click for build thread
Technane

Post by Technane »

Ah ok I misread your comment, I would have thought the Kenwood if its one of these http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/acce ... /1#details" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
would support the OEM microphone, and wouldn't of used the normal aftermarket Connections? im wholly speculating though I only have the RNS-510 and no Bluetooth so no MIC
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

The Kenwood comes with a 3.5mm jack microphone like any aftermarket headunit. The one you have linked to looks to be a DNX525, mine is a 520. Same aside from mine doesn't do Music streaming via BT.

It does not connect to OEM Bluetooth as it has Bluetooth and Nav built in, it's a replacement multi media system rather than an add on. You could not spec from factory a car with OEM Bluetooth AND a Kenwood.
click for build thread
Technane

Post by Technane »

Makes sense, I really wonder if the MFSW works with the DNX525 fully then, as in has all the Phone functions working as they should. right now my phone buttons just mute the RNS (Expected )
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

No, wheel controls do not control the phone. You press the button on the head unit. Rest of buttons work fine.
click for build thread
Technane

Post by Technane »

Booo, so only way to do a nice clean OEM look is with the factory Bluetooth, I am more of an upgrade with OEM than a modder, so prefer all my buttons to do what they have listed on them lol
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

No major updates.

Friend and I took the whole front end of, as the car was over heating and while I think it's the HG and cyl head studs failing I also had symptoms of a blocked radiator.

So we fitted a new Hella unit.

Also there's a coolant circuit that I have looped due to my oil cooler. The hose is not ideal and was only a temporary solution, so I have measured the outlets and gotten an appropriately sized ASH hose.

Image20170208_192931 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Also ordered some additional silicones up for the upcoming work.
We are beginning strip down on Friday 3rd of March so new cyl head, upgraded valve springs, hybrid vklr turbo and some other cool bits are going on.
Hopefully smash the 300bhp barrier.

It has been very frustrating sourcing parts from europe and getting details for example finding the right upgraded valve spring but thanks to Bobby were have everything we need now.
click for build thread
Psycho Kirky
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Salsa Red
Options: MODS-
K&N Typhoon Induction kit
BCS Powervalve custom sport TBE
REVO Stage 2 remap
Airtec Stage 2 Intercooler
Forge diverter/recirculation valve
Sachs Performance clutch
'Heavy Set' silicone hoses
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

xjay1337 wrote:No major updates.

Friend and I took the whole front end of, as the car was over heating and while I think it's the HG and cyl head studs failing I also had symptoms of a blocked radiator.

So we fitted a new Hella unit.

Also there's a coolant circuit that I have looped due to my oil cooler. The hose is not ideal and was only a temporary solution, so I have measured the outlets and gotten an appropriately sized ASH hose.

Image20170208_192931 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Also ordered some additional silicones up for the upcoming work.
We are beginning strip down on Friday 3rd of March so new cyl head, upgraded valve springs, hybrid vklr turbo and some other cool bits are going on.
Hopefully smash the 300bhp barrier.

It has been very frustrating sourcing parts from europe and getting details for example finding the right upgraded valve spring but thanks to Bobby were have everything we need now.
Just looking at that oil cooler, I have mine booked in with AKS Tuning on 24th - 25th April :D interesting to see how it's mounted. As thats one of the main reasons i'm not doing it with my friend! Good luck with the upcoming work!

Sent Via tapatalk
SPEEDDRV
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
With a: DSG box
Options: Remapped to 187hp.
Dectane front blinker, piano black interior trim, Eonon head unit, front and rear camera, gloss black rear diffuser, full interior LED, full rear LED bulbs, cold start diagnostic off via ODIS, long press on keyfob to close electric mirrors. XDS on Strong. Many more mods...

Post by SPEEDDRV »

Amazing project my friend!! :D
deano_123
In: Reflex Silver

Post by deano_123 »

Considered removing the AC setup and moving the battery whilst its all stripped down?
Paradox1
I drive a: Haven't decided yet

Post by Paradox1 »

Alot of hard work, time and development gone into this.

Good luck with the rebuild
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

[quote="Psycho Kirky"
Just looking at that oil cooler, I have mine booked in with AKS Tuning on 24th - 25th April :D interesting to see how it's mounted. As thats one of the main reasons i'm not doing it with my friend! Good luck with the upcoming work!

Sent Via tapatalk[/quote]

Ah cool, is Alex going to fit it then?

On the TFSI it's a fair bit easier to fit from what I understand but I wouldn't want to do it without assistance as it's a bit nerve-racking lol, plus on mine we had to cut down the OEM oil/water heat exchanger so at that point it's no return

I didn't want it directly in the front of the car as that's where most of the abuse from stones etc happens, and if I was to have a low speed bump (say hitting another deer.....) I didn't want the oil cooler to be in the direct line of oncoming traffic.

SPEEDDRV wrote:Amazing project my friend!! :D

thank you :vibes:
deano_123 wrote:Considered removing the AC setup and moving the battery whilst its all stripped down?
Couldn't live without AC lol
Maybe would do a battery relocation in the future , something to think about :yes:
Paradox1 wrote:Alot of hard work, time and development gone into this.

Good luck with the rebuild
Thanks mate,
I'm hoping it goes well lol, completely new ground ! Which is exciting, scary and expensive lol.
8)

The head and new turbo , gaskets and pipework etc are well over £2k. :eyepop:
click for build thread
deano_123
In: Reflex Silver

Post by deano_123 »

Looking at the battery area, the move of the battery is simple. Its the relocation and extension of 5 or so earth points that would be a pain in the arse.
Psycho Kirky
REVO Stage 2 remap
Sachs Performance clutch
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

What tyres do you run with on the track?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

From an earlier post :)

PS4's were brilliant on the front, stuck well but did feel a bit roly poly.
AD08R were good on the back, back end was dead planted. I think with 245/40 AD08R on the front it will really help.
Currently we are 235/40 F and 245/40 R.

deano_123 wrote:Looking at the battery area, the move of the battery is simple. Its the relocation and extension of 5 or so earth points that would be a pain in the arse.

We'll find out eventually :) would be quite nice to do, even just to tidy up the bay.
Im sure we can sort the earths without too much hassle.

I've decided to hold off on proceeding with the engine rebuild until my new car arrives which should be within the next 10 days then I don't need to worry about getting to work etc.

Someone from darkside has been in touch to tell me they had a similar case with another CR170 with a GTB2260 overheating on track and it turned out to be the block warped!

We'll check when we rip it apart and if we need to then I'll get another bottom end. But I'm hoping it's just the head gasket as with the miles and abuse that would be the most likely/hopeful option lol. :rolleyes:
click for build thread
Psycho Kirky
REVO Stage 2 remap
Sachs Performance clutch
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

xjay1337 wrote:From an earlier post :)

PS4's were brilliant on the front, stuck well but did feel a bit roly poly.
AD08R were good on the back, back end was dead planted. I think with 245/40 AD08R on the front it will really help.
Currently we are 235/40 F and 245/40 R.

deano_123 wrote:Looking at the battery area, the move of the battery is simple. Its the relocation and extension of 5 or so earth points that would be a pain in the arse.

We'll find out eventually :) would be quite nice to do, even just to tidy up the bay.
Im sure we can sort the earths without too much hassle.

I've decided to hold off on proceeding with the engine rebuild until my new car arrives which should be within the next 10 days then I don't need to worry about getting to work etc.

Someone from darkside has been in touch to tell me they had a similar case with another CR170 with a GTB2260 overheating on track and it turned out to be the block warped!

We'll check when we rip it apart and if we need to then I'll get another bottom end. But I'm hoping it's just the head gasket as with the miles and abuse that would be the most likely/hopeful option lol. :rolleyes:
Oh right nice, is that with 8" alloys all round too?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

no, my OZ's are 9 inch.
click for build thread
xjay1337

Post by xjay1337 »

Went out with a few mates yesterday night to London to get some pics.

ImageIMG_4169-1 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4194-5 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4214-14 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Nothing new to report at the moment.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
click for build thread