UK Lee's GTS build thread :-)

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
uklee
I drive a: GTS TDI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: 14MY GTS TDi 177 RNS510 DAB with Dynaudio ,Parking sensors, 90% tint, Bi-Xenons, Full colour MFC, Winter Pack. MODS- De-Striped ,Reverse Camera Kit ,Power-fold Mirrors, Smokers pack ,Cruise Control, VW Cup spoiler ,VAG-COM tweeks ,LED interior light kit ,MSS Streets suspension kit ,12mm spacers

Re: UK Lee's GTS build thread :-)

Post by uklee »

Yes mate - still loving & driving my GTS :D

I've been busy with the restoration of an old dirt bike , so haven't been posting on here much - i do lurk occasionally though ;)

No tips for the piano black trim I'm afraid - i haven't marked mine at all ? i just wipe it with a soft cloth to keep it clean and it looks as mint as the day i collected the car from the dealers.

Re the GTS mats , i expect that you should be able to order them from any VW dealer but I've just looked at EKTA online (VW's parts system) and i cant find any reference to them :shrug:

So , i've just been outside in the freezing cold , got down on my knees and written the part numbers down from the mats in my own GTS

Drivers Front - 1K2 864 436 H
Drivers Rear - 1K0 864 452 H
Passenger Front - 1K2 864 435 H
Passenger Rear - 1K0 864 451 H

Now you can do me a favour :yes: , when you call at the dealers to get a price on those part numbers , please report back here .
My drivers side mate is getting tired and i was thinking about replacing it.

Lee
ash.mtl
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: H&R Lowering Springs
Matte Anthracite Intergalos
K&N Panel Filter
Beru ignition coils
Stance + Spacers
Rear De-Wipe ( kill all wipers )

Post by ash.mtl »

Interested too see how the new grill looks pal , have wanted to change mine for a while
Vance2101
With a: DSG box
Options: UNITRONIC ECU 2ND stage
UNITRONIC DSG 1ST stage
UNITRONIC Cold Air Intake
UNITRONIC 3" Downpipe
GFB DV+
R8 Coilpack

Post by Vance2101 »

uklee wrote:I thought it was about time that i updated this thread a little :)

No really major mods since lowering the car - just some nice finishing touches :yes:

i replaced the chrome VW badges with gloss black ones ( i got the pair for just £16 from china via ebay ) they look great !

I got hold of a top box and some OEM roofbars and took the family to France for a holiday - where i managed to take my all time favourite pic of my car :D

i then replaced the (pointless) rear cubby box with the cup holder assy from a Golf 6 (OEM part and just £20 odd quid from ebay ! :p )

And today the paperwork arrived from the DVLA meaning that i could finally fit my personalised registration :clap:
I bought the number via the DVLA auction and I'm really chuffed with it . After seeing some other rocco's with trimmed down plates - I had a custom sized (528mm x 95mm) front plate made up that fills the full width of the recess in the front bumper , and doesn't overlap the grille at the bottom .

i really like the resized front plate - it's not the best photo - but it seems to make the front end look wider and meaner :nod:

Lee
hi lee kinda interested at your CUP HOLDER from golf 6 mini project. you kinda inspired me to do the same for my rocco. do you still have the link to that OEM part? :clap:
uklee
Options: 14MY GTS TDi 177 RNS510 DAB with Dynaudio ,Parking sensors, 90% tint, Bi-Xenons, Full colour MFC, Winter Pack. MODS- De-Striped ,Reverse Camera Kit ,Power-fold Mirrors, Smokers pack ,Cruise Control, VW Cup spoiler ,VAG-COM tweeks ,LED interior light kit ,MSS Streets suspension kit ,12mm spacers

Post by uklee »

just type in 'golf rear cup holder' on ebay :yes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Black-Cent ... 48769c30fa
Vance2101
Options: UNITRONIC ECU 2ND stage
UNITRONIC DSG 1ST stage
UNITRONIC Cold Air Intake
UNITRONIC 3" Downpipe
GFB DV+
R8 Coilpack

Post by Vance2101 »

uklee wrote:just type in 'golf rear cup holder' on ebay :yes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Black-Cent ... 48769c30fa
thx lee. much appreciated. :clap:
uklee

Post by uklee »

So this weekend - i went from this

to this

and then it ended up looking like this :D

I bought a spare front plastics set ( center grille , tow eye cover , fog lamp grilles & flasher surrounds ) - it was all secondhand stuff , but undamaged and in good nick. I then set about sanding down the textured finish of the plastic , before handing it a mate to paint it all in high gloss black and candy white. Some 6mm red pinstripe off ebay finished it all off and then i refitted it and gave it a wash.

I'm really pleased with the result and i thin it looks great ! :)

I think i'd like to do the rear valance in gloss black now as well - anyone got a rear valance from an R-Line for sale ?

Lee
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Looks really good Lee!
Last edited by whiteDevil_170 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Psycho Kirky
In: Salsa Red
Options: MODS-
K&N Typhoon Induction kit
BCS Powervalve custom sport TBE
REVO Stage 2 remap
Airtec Stage 2 Intercooler
Forge diverter/recirculation valve
Sachs Performance clutch
'Heavy Set' silicone hoses
REVO Torque Mount Insert
Various detailing

Post by Psycho Kirky »

uklee wrote:So this weekend - i went from this

to this

and then it ended up looking like this :D

I bought a spare front plastics set ( center grille , tow eye cover , fog lamp grilles & flasher surrounds ) - it was all secondhand stuff , but undamaged and in good nick. I then set about sanding down the textured finish of the plastic , before handing it a mate to paint it all in high gloss black and candy white. Some 6mm red pinstripe off ebay finished it all off and then i refitted it and gave it a wash.

I'm really pleased with the result and i thin it looks great ! :)

I think i'd like to do the rear valance in gloss black now as well - anyone got a rear valance from an R-Line for sale ?

Lee
Nice mods! Is it hard to remove the front bumper like this, I cant seem to find any threads with step by step guides, as i'm hoping to fit a new intercooler in the next few weeks?
uklee

Post by uklee »

Psycho Kirky wrote: Nice mods! Is it hard to remove the front bumper like this, I cant seem to find any threads with step by step guides, as i'm hoping to fit a new intercooler in the next few weeks?
It's pretty easy really - a few screws on the top , a few more on the bottom and a couple each side .

This thread should help you out > http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=1665

Lee
StuRenfrew
Options: n/a

Post by StuRenfrew »

How easy was it to change the grill I've had one painted with the red pinstripe sitting for a few weeks now, just not had a chance to fit it.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
uklee

Post by uklee »

StuRenfrew wrote:How easy was it to change the grill I've had one painted with the red pinstripe sitting for a few weeks now, just not had a chance to fit it.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
Once you've popped the front bumper off - you'll see that its pretty straight forward. You need to release all the tabs on the grille from their retainers on the bumper . Use a flat screwdriver and a little pressure to gently prize the tabs away working from one side to the other. Its not technically difficult at all - just take your time and you'll be fine.

Lee
b0x3d
In: Reflex Silver

Post by b0x3d »

uklee wrote:Now you can do me a favour :yes: , when you call at the dealers to get a price on those part numbers , please report back here .
My drivers side mate is getting tired and i was thinking about replacing it.
Lee
mate sorry I haven't got back to you been meaning to honest! Was having an issue with my car and thought I'd be changing it for something else. Annoying vibration coming from the front. The garage thought it was the soundaktor and replaced the clip but it's still there (although slightly improved). Once I've got the issue sorted I'll replace the mats and find out how much they are!
Komar
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125

Post by Komar »

I have the same rims as you........what do you think, how would those look with 215/40 R18 tires?

would it be overstreched?

I think they would still look good, since the 235 tires are just too wide maybe for my taste....
uklee

Post by uklee »

Komar wrote:I have the same rims as you........what do you think, how would those look with 215/40 R18 tires?
would it be overstreched?
I think they would still look good, since the 235 tires are just too wide maybe for my taste....
I dont know - i'm running with standard sized tyres. The 'stretched' look doesn't do it for me - but each to their own i guess :shrug:
Douggie1233
In: Rising Blue

Post by Douggie1233 »

Awesome thread!! I actually really like the euro look with the roof bars on yours. Stands out nicely!!
DannJamess
Options: Everything bar folding mirrors.

Post by DannJamess »

Any updates to this dude? Spent the last hr or so reading through it at work! Oops! Haha Awesome thread and I'm pretty sure all your little interior mods are now on my list. Recently purchased my Candy White 170. Out of interest what is your cleaning regime and products? Possibly the only thing you haven't gone through haha. Thanks!
uklee

Post by uklee »

Thanks Dan
No more mods , apart from the annual fitting of my winter wheels to save my lovely 18" Thunders from the winter salt. To be honest , i'm really happy with the way it is now and apart from getting the roof painted black ( i took the wrap off after it bubbled ) there's nothing really on the horizon left to do ??.

My cleaning regime may have been covered on another thread . I'm lucky enough to finish 1/2 day on a friday , so every Friday afternoon it gets a wash - without fail come rain or shine - This consists of a pre-rinse using my Nilfisk e130 jet wash , then a snowfoam (via a Autobrite lance & Car Chem snow foam ) , rinse again , then a 2 bucket wash using Meguires Gold class shampoo (40ml to 15l hot water) and an Autoglym sponge.
A final rinse , then i give it a squirt of Autoglym aqua wax (car still wet) before drying it off with a microfibre towel (risned in hot water , then wrung out between each panel)
Any tar , iron or tree sap is spot removed using a lump of fine Bilthamber clay kept in the warm wash bucket.

It's nothing spectacular ,and there are no magic potions or hugely expensive product involved - but by doing it regularly my GTS always looks mint . The paintwork is super smooth and really shiny. The aqua wax takes seconds to apply and beads really well. Any crap that may have built up during wet weather use mostly glides off during the first pre-rinse , and the snow foam takes care of the more stubborn stuff - so by the time i get to my 2 bucket wash - i'm essentially washing a clean car anyway. I've been doing this every week for the last 2 years, and while at first my neighbours thought i was barmy - they're used to me doing it now. If i've had one of my bikes out during the last week , i'll give them some love too .

It takes me just under 2 hours every friday - I put my ipod on with my favourite tunes and treat it as my 'wind down' time to forget the hassles of a week at work and have a great start to every week end. I go though a bottle of Meguires shampoo about once every 8 months , a bottle of aqua wax every 3-4 months , a new sponge every couple of months.

Lee
DannJamess
Options: Everything bar folding mirrors.

Post by DannJamess »

Oh wow, cheers dude for such an in depth response!

Im definitely looking at ways to keep mine clean especially over the 'rainy' months.. To be honest im not a car clean freak and haven't really looked into it in detail until ive got this car, I think i'll follow your routine as its not too long! :) Couple hours I can deal with aha

Is that a GSXR? Cannot work it out properly, I also ride a ZX6R. :)
uklee

Post by uklee »

It's my GSXR 1000 K6 , I'm a petrol head - i love my bikes as much as my cars :D .

Lee
Mostic
I drive a: R-Line
In: Oryx White
Options: Let's wait until I start the mods :)

Post by Mostic »

What a nice build thread man :yes:
I was looking for some info about replacing some parts on the forums and it was really good to find many of it in your build.
hood Gas struts, rear camera retrofit, VAG-COM tweeks

Thanks man for your effort.
Scirocco R Build! (Fun, Tough & Cost)
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=21372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MKV Build!
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;